Jacques Janse van Rensburg produced a very strong performance on Stage 4 of the Tour of Oman as he featured prominently in the breakaway, with Merhawi Kudus taking eventual 8th place on the line.
The stage was won by Astana’s Magnus Cort Nielsen with Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida) second and Alberto Bettiol (BMC) in third.
Merhawi Kudus took 8th spot and is now placed 10th in the general classification.
Van Rensburg, who recently finished second at the South African championships, got himself into the very early 6-man break that tackled a tough, tricky stage from Yiti (Al Safah) to the Ministry of Tourism over 117.5km.
This group shared the spoils over the course of the number of climbs before, with 25km to go, van Rensburg made his move along with Peter Stetina. They opened up a 40” gap which they held onto until the man from Trek-Segafredo made his own move, going solo with 18km to go.
On the final climb of Al Jabal street, Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) attacked pulling the Astana team with them and setting up a fast, furious final 10kms with a lead group of around 26 riders all in contention.
BMC took their turn setting the pace as the stage reached its conclusion but Astana took control in the final stages as Cort Nielsen took the victory.
That results sees Kudus maintain his position in 3rd in the young rider’s category.
Jacques Janse van Rensburg – Rider
“I’m very happy with my performance and the team’s performance today. Tomorrow is the big stage and we’re going to see what we can do with Merhawi and support him as best as we can. Tomorrow will be the deciding factor in the tour.”
Date: 16th February 2018Avg. speed winner: 39.70 km/uRace category: Men EliteStart/finish: Yiti (Al Sifah) › Ministry of TourismParcours type: PCS point scale: 2.HC.Stage
| || |
Tour of Oman 2018 | Stage 4
Results of Tour of Oman Stage 4 from Yiti (Al Sifah) to Ministry of Tourism, won by Magnus Cort Nielsen befor...
Tour of Oman results & GC: Magnus Cort Nielsen wins stage four
Astana Pro’s Magnus Cort Nielsen won the 117.5km fourth stage of the Tour of Oman
in Muscat today.
The Danish rider completed the race in 2:57:36, beating Bahrain-Merida’s Giovanni Visconti (Italy) and BMC Racing pair Alberto Bettiol (Italy) and Greg van Avermaet (Belgium) to the line.
Magnus Cort Nielsen won the fourth stage of the Tour of Oman today. Photo: Tour of Oman
DiData’s Jacques Janse van Rensburg (South Africa) took the lead at the climb of Al Jabal Street with almost 30km, with Trek-Segafredo’s Peter Stetina (USA) closely following. The two held their lead, until Stetina soloed ahead with 18km to go.
Stetina was reeled in with about 15km to go when the 26-man leading peloton accelerated up the summit. Cort delivered a powerful sprint to take the stage.
DiData’s Merhawi Kudus (Eritrea) finished in eighth and is currently 10th on the general classification. Van Avermaet retains the leader’s jersey.
View more results below.
1. Magnus Cort Nielsen (Astana Pro, Denmark) 2:57:36
2. Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida, Italy)
3. Alberto Bettiol (BMC Racing, Italy)
4. Greg van Avermaet (BMC Racing Team, Belgium)
5. Rui Alberto Faria da Costa (UAE Team Emirates, Portugal)
6. Nathan Haas (Katusha-Alpecin, Australia)
7. Mark Christian (Aqua Blue Sport, Britain)
8. Merhawi Kudus (Dimension Data, Eritrea)
9. Odd Christian Eiking (Wanty-Groupe Gobert, Norway)
10. Jesus Herrada (Cofidis, Spain)
1. Greg van Avermaet (BMC Racing Team, Belgium) 15:54:20
2. Alexey Lutsenko (Astana Pro, Kazakhstan) 15:54:29
3. Nathan Haas (Katusha-Alpecin, Australia) 15:54:33
4. Gorka Izagirre (Bahrain-Merida, Spain) 15:54:36
5. Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana Pro, Colombia) 15:54:44
6. Dries Devenyns (Quick-Step Floors, Belgium) 15:54:45
7. Odd Christian Eiking (Wanty-Groupe Gobert, Norway)
8. Jesus Herrada (Cofidis, Spain)
9. Daniel Navarro Garcia (Cofidis, Spain)
10. Merhawi Kudus (Dimension Data, Eritrea) 15:54:53