[dehai-news] (PIA Visit) Personal Reflections: From Oakland to New York

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:49:29 -0400

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Senait Yohannes <senait_7yw_at_yahoo.com>  wrote:

**

I was one of the lucky people who were able to get into the hall (Manhattan Center). The whole experience is indescribable. As someone described it : it was like visiting a holy land. We began the trip to New York City at around 4 am, drove about 4 hours from DC. With great anticipation we waited in line for about 4 hours, before we were let in. Once in we scrambled to find a strategic location were we could get a good view, though there were large screens everywhere. I have to say it was well organized considering the numbers of the crowd.

The President was gracious in listening and answering people. It was like a renewal for us to see our President and to re-connect. President Isaias felt for the people who were not able to get in. He was overwhelmed by the whole experience as we were. We were truly "Hade Libi, Hade Hizbi". I was very much impressed by young Dawit (10 years old) who eloquently described his feelings to the President.

We were about 40 people who flew together from Oakland to DC with JetBlue.  The steward on our way to DC made an announcement: "Thank you Eritrean-Americans from the Bay Area for flying with JetBlue. We wish you good luck meeting with your President. And Happy belated Independence Day!  Awet n'Hafash!" On the way back the announcement was: "Thank you Bay Area Eritrean-American for flying with JetBlue. Congratulations!! on meeting President Isaias Afewrki". We were just elated. Everyone was clapping and ellelling. It was just an amazing experience.

Senait Yohannes

         ----[This List to be used for Eritrea Related News Only]---- Received on Thu Sep 29 2011 - 22:49:51 EDT