[dehai-news] The West's Selective Human Right "Concern"!

From: Berhane Alazar (erigram@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2011 - 20:48:49 EST

The West's Selective Human Right "Concern"!

Libya on the Spot

So, we are witnessing with ewe and bewilderment as yet another third
world country is being obliterated by the "Know it all" and "Holier than
Thou" ! Ironically, the pattern that preceded this unjustifiable
bombing of Libya by the so called "Allied" forces has a stark and eerie
resemblance to that bloody theater where George W. Bush was telling the
world, a decade ago, that there was an evil man in Baghdad that must be
eliminated before he was allowed to use his forbidden weapons against
humanity. Of course that was a concocted excuse for the US to act as it
pleased as if it really needed any excuse to do so.

Lately, we have been witnessing sort of "Bragging right" who can go out
in the streets of certain capitals of the Maghreb and the Middle East
and demonstrate against their governments for one reason or another. We
have seen such exercises in Tunisia and Egypt where the reigning leaders
were forced to stand down in relatively "Bloodless" and peaceful
exercises. Similar activities have also been happening in Bahrain,
Yemen and, to some extent, in Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Syria. All of
these demonstrations seem to be genuine citizens expressing some grudges
against their respective governance and, in my opinion, they should be
encouraged to do so; and supported morally and politically.

But perhaps the case of Libya begs certain observation that clearly
shows some contempt and utter disrespect the West has shown over the
third word population and their institutions. It also shows how the
Chinese are colluding with the West in just about everything they do in
spite of their hollow rhetoric of standing "Shoulder to shoulder" with
Africa and the rest of third world.

So what differentiates the "demonstrations" in Libya from the others
mentioned above? To begin with, the demonstrators seem to have come
primarily from certain sections of Libya with no cohesive or nationalist
outlook whatsoever. They acted and behaved like a secessionist movement
in spite of their proclamation that they are for "United Libya". They
come from a part of Libya, Cyrenaica, which historically did not get
along with the rest of Libyans. While the rest of the Maghreb/Middle
East demonstrators were mostly unarmed civilians expressing what
appeared to be a genuine change of system of governance, the Libyans in
the east were well armed "Civilians" with heavy artillery, anti aircraft
battery and even war planes. The British and French neocolonial forces
have been in and out in sovereign Libyan territories without the
blessing or even knowledge of the Libyan authorities in their attempt to
encourage the Libyan rebels to commit some acts of aggression against
their own country.

So, the West in its ever deceitful manners, what "Civilians" was it
trying to protect when it bombed the day light of Libya and its
institutions? And how does one justify all the destruction and mayhem
the West is committing, as we speak, all in the name of UNSC Resolution
1973(2011)? Why does the West still think that we are gullible enough,
if not down right stupid, that we are just going to buy its not so
convincing story by mere mentioning the "UNSC"? The UNSC has never been
a power that mattered or cared to the third word people and their
interest. The UNSC has always been the playground of the big boys club.
So, does it really matter for the West to try to justify its criminal
act as being done by obtaining carte blanches from the UNSC? And here
is another misleader. The West got the Arab League's blessing to attack
Libya. Oh really? Considering how corrupt and inept some of the
League's members were, and the fact that they would suffocate when they
fail to deal with the West for one minute, it really doesn't say much
about the so called "Arab consensus" for the barbaric western actions
that are being carried out against the Libyan people.

The bottom line is, the destruction of Libya as we know it, is being
carried out in the name of "protecting civilians" while in reality it is
the oil stupid! Libya's abundant and quality oil reserve apparently
does not quench the huge thirst the industrial world has when that
resource is controlled by a nationalist leader who stood against the
West's neocolonial agenda. Colonel Gaddafi may have his short comings,
if any, I do not know. But that is for the Libyan and Libyan people
alone to address and not any foreign powers and especially the West,
which has a checkered record, at best, when it comes to human rights
issues. We are talking about how the West is on record by supporting
just about every "Dictator" there was and cooperated with abusing their
respective people. To mention a few, Fulgencio Battista of Cuba,
General Franco of Spain, Augusto Pinochet of Chile, Ferdinando Marcos of
the Philippines, Chiang Kai-shek of Taiwan, Mobutu Sese Seko of the
Congo, Idi Amin Dada of Uganda, Kenya's Arap Moi and Emperor
Haileselasie of Ethiopia and a host of other blood suckers around the
globe.

With bloody hands for everyone to see, can the West really be portrayed
as the "messiah" of the 21st Century that would save the masses from
whatever predicament they might find themselves? Can we really expect
it to rain in "manna and honey" from the skies it operates in? I think
not. Try some bombs, rockets and missiles and you wouldn't be further
from the truth.

With "Friends" like we have in the West, who needs enemies?

Berhane Alazar