The Board Eritrean Community in Winnipeg Inc. would like to updated on our summer programs and efforts to integrate Newcomer families ,youth and create stronger networks to support each other and BUILD STRONGER COMMUNITIES
A) Summer Learning Program
B) Summer Soccer Program
C) Important dates and activities for youth and families
D)Registration information on different programs
E) Registration of Families and Youth about next year Graduation (graduates of High School 2018 of grade 12 student.
F) Newcomers welcoming Dinner update
G) Annual Picnic Information to St Malo
H) Driving classes and oral test preparation
These is a series of programs organized by the community: (visit www.eritreancommunity .ca for more info) and its volunteers to bring together Families ,children, integrate Newcomer Eritrean Canadians in to community programs .
The programs are highly organized and built on the experience of 10 years (minimum) of community programs
and the support of the whole community is needed in order to enhance them and make the most of it.
Summer Learning Program:
567 Banattyne Avenue SIR JOHN HUGH MCDONALD SCHOOL
Parents drop their children at 08:30 and pick them up at 04:00 p.m.Program runs form July 4 to August 18th 2017 from Monday to Friday five days a week
There is no fee and two full meals are provided to the children breakfast and warm lunc
Details of the program follow:
- We have 92 children registered age 4-17 at present. the number is expected to rise to 120 as some children participate in different programs during July and they will join end of July registration is ongoing
- Registration requirements are strict and very formal and all parent are required to fill the registration forms and provide a copy of the PR of the students /children.(It's a requirement).
- The program is supervised by the director of the after-school tutoring program of the Eritrean Community in Winnipeg Inc. Tigisti Abay Asmerom.
- The Program has 9 employed staff Supervisor of the program, Haben Asgedom teacher with the Louis Riel program (University students) Hermon Gidey , Feruz Mehari, Reem Godafay, Habtom Meresi, Asmeret Gilay, Ariam Zeray and Selam Haile
- Two cooks Semainseh Temenwo and Lemlem Tsegay that provide 240 meals a day
- Breakfast and warm lunch is cooked at the site and provided to all children. Parents are encouraged to provide food to their children if any particularities exist in nutrition.
- 15 volunteers assist the program in class and with activities . More volunteers are needed. Youth/ employment opportunities are given after volunteering for two years a certain amount of hours.
- The curriculum includes Literacy, Numeracy for Newcomer students on transition, Cultural classes , Heritage awareness and reinforcement , Tigrigna and Arabic language enhancement , English classes culture , food ,dances, sports , and entertainment. Tutors speak . Tigrigna, Arabic, Swahili ,English and French .
- The Program is culturally sensitive and oriented to promote Eritrean Culture , History, integration and assist families with inter-generational issues and promote stronger healthier Families.
- There is a dancing class ( Nine Ethnic group ) and children out side the program that want to participate can register by contacting :Hermon at firstname.lastname@example.org and Haben Asghedom at email@example.com
- Important Dates 1)ZOO DAY August 4 2017 2) SPORT DAY july 28th 2017 3) MAGIC BOOK DAY August 2nd 4) CLOSING CEREMONY DAY August 17th 2017.
- There are also other field trips. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturdays the Soccer team activities take place and for registrations and information call Daniel Yemane at 204 9635651 or email him at email@example.com
- Soccer started on July 1st Time 10:00 am to 1200 LORD ROBERTS SCHOOL 665 BERESFORD AVENUE timely arrival important SCHOOL age children all welcome
- On June 25th 2017 we had a graduation ceremony of 17 grade twelve students from 14 Different High Schools and with 460 parents and families in attendance.
- Registration of new graduates 2018 has started . Please an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. First meeting will take place end of September 2017.Date TBA post registration
There will be two Picnics this year Sunday July 23rd 2017 St. Malo Picnic Buses live at 09:30 and 11:30 from 346 Hargrave a second one will take place in August
Welcoming newcomer dinner : June 11 22017 and July 16th session took place with 36 newcomers , families children and individuals participating these two months welcomed to the community and introduced to services and programs of the community accessibility to Canadian Manitoba government and Eritrean Consulate Services, Eritrean ID renewal and and Occupational Health sessions.
Next session will take place on September and will be advertised, all newcomers are welcomed.
Driving classes oral test preparation for newcomers
every Saturday at 11:15 at the Eritrean Community Center 346 Hargrave
on going registrations and classes
assistance provide with test interpretations and documentation
October 16th 2017 :ERITREAN LANGUAGES AND CULTURAL AWARENESS YOUTH PROGRAMS TUTORING PROGRAM FUNDRAISER TICKETS ON SALE SOON
A fundraising EVENT AT THE MASONIC TEMPLE
WITH THE AIM TO PROMOTE
CULTURAL AWARENESS AMONG YOUTH, STRENGTHENING FAMILIES AND YOUTH EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS
ERITREAN FESTIVALs ACROSS CANADA
- TORONTO FESTIVAL AUGUST 5, 6,
-EDMONTON FESTIVAL AUGUST 12 AND 13
Lambros Kyriakakos204 7944981 e-mail: email@example.comEritrean Community in Winnipeg Inc.
Bringing a Proud African History and Culture In Canada
CELEBRATING 35 YEARS
OF PROUD COMMUNITY COMMITMENT IN MANITOBA