[dehai-news] (SomaliTalk.com) ARS Press release: UNSC pursued a proxy witch-hunt for a scapegoat

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 12:26:00 EST

http://somalitalk.com/web/2009/12/25/ars-press-release-on-unsc-sanctions-against-eritrea/
ARS Press release on UNSC Sanctions against Eritrea

Faafin: SomaliTalk.com | Friday, December 25, 2009

<http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=att&th=11ccdf0ace976fc8&attid=0.1&disp=attd&zw>Isbahaysiga
Dib-u-xoraynta Soomaaliya

Alliance for the Re-Liberation of Somalia (ARS)

UNSC Sanctions against Eritrea

The Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) expresses profound
dismay with UNSC resolution 1907 (2009) dated December 23, 2009. Although
the declaration purports to address immediate threats to the stability and
wellbeing of Somalia, yet it has been reduced simply to another failure in
dealing with the roots of the crisis or real violators of the country’s
sovereignty, territorial integrity and the human dignity of its citizens.

The following facts support our position:-

   1. Somalis, the dictates of geography and presence of foreign military
   bases in the region underline the fact that weapons are not delivered from
   Eritrea but are primarily captured from enemy troops (of the so-called TFG
   or foreign occupation forces).
   2. Support for the opposition forces comes from the people of Somalia.
   3. Eritrea’s assistance has consistently proved to have been constructive
   in that it:-
      1.
         1. Hosted Somali political factions (Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed
         included) in search for an inclusive national consensus.
         2. Eritrea has remained mindful and loyal to the unwavering
         solidarity by Somalis throughout its 30 years liberation struggle.
         3. Unlike some of our immediate neighbors, Eritrea did not invade
         or violate in any manner the sovereignty of our country or its people.

Instead of dealing with realities on the ground, the UNSC resolution failed
to identify the actual perpetrators of instability and pursued a proxy
witch-hunt for a scapegoat. Evidence for this pattern of conveniently
distorting facts and double standards can be traced in numerous Security
Council decisions, including:-

   - Uganda’s military intervention in the DRC; and, Rwanda s’ role in the
   same conflict.
   - Ethiopia’s military, financial and political support to Somali warlords
   during the TNG reign (2000- 2004), that has been carried out in blatant
   violation of UNSC resolutions.
   - Ethiopia’s military invasion and subsequent occupation of Somalia
   during 2006-8 contrary to Resolution 1625 of 2004.

Therefore, the ARS rejects and denounces in the strongest terms UNSC
resolution 1907 (2009).

Peace and stability in Somalia cannot be reclaimed through a policy
dedicated to the search for scapegoats. Instead, there is no alternative to
a Somali owned inclusive approach along with the withdrawal of foreign
troops. Accordingly, we call upon the international community to support
this effort by respecting the will of our people.

ARS – Asmara.

December 24, 2009.