[dehai-news] Shaebia.org: The Dreams of a Young Eritrean

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Dec 24 2009 - 06:36:05 EST

The Dreams of a Young Eritrean

T. Habte, Dec 24, 2009

Meron Tsegay scored full marks in the matriculation of this year. She
describes Sawa as the place where she came to know who she really was. "Sawa
is Eritrea to me," she says. Hdri's Mesfun tesfai interviewed her regarding
her experience in Sawa. Here is the translated version:

Q: How was life in Sawa?

Mesfun tesfai: Before I went to Sawa I had a solitary life. But in Sawa
everything was different for me. For example, in our unit we were from all
the Eritrean ethnic groups except for Nara and Rashayda. All of the 15
members of our unit came from different parts of Eritrea. We spoke different
languages and had different backgrounds. There was beauty in diversity which
you couldn't find in any other situation. Being different helped us to look
at life from different perspectives. In Asmara, for example, all of the
students had similar background, age, experience. This couldn't help you to
expand your experience. So, in Sawa I learned what I couldn't find in books
and from friends in Asmara. Generally, Sawa means Eritrea as a whole for me.

Q: Growing up in Asmara, a capital city, you had no prior experience or
exposure. How did you face the military training and the military rules?

At first, things obviously were difficult. When I was at home I used to eat
and dress what was prepared for me. Then, I lived the life my parents made
for me. In Sawa, I started to manage myself. It was in Sawa that I
recognized who Meron is. Regarding physical fitness, since I used to do
exercise in Asmara it helped me a lot. What I admired most was the taste of
Sawa's water. Feeling tired, when you drink and take shower you immediately
feel fresh. The climate was not harsh; the food is not bad. So, it was not
that much a challenge. You have just to believe that nothing impossible.

Q: Some say that the rules are strict and you couldn't move freely in Sawa.
What is your opinion?

In a place where thousands are gathered, you need a mechanism of
organization and keeping discipline. We were there for a reason. We were all
young students with different background and needs. So, there must be a way
of controlling. We had to follow the rules and regulations which are for the
benefit of every one of us. We needed follow-ups and caring. It was not only
strict rules; rather it was a good follow up. Life in Warsay-Yekealo is not
a military way of life; when you are studying you have absolute freedom.
Life in Sawa enables you to be more disciplined, strong and creative,
indeed.

Q: How do you explain the teaching and learning process in Sawa?

When we arrived at Sawa, we took a week long military training that helped
us to know the rules and regulations of the place. The training was helpful
for our physical fitness and knowing Sawa. Then we started our academic
lessons. Learning was good and I was nominated to participate as teacher in
peer education.

Q: What is peer education and how were you nominated?

Those of us who had good performance were nominated to teach every week. The
nomination was based on marks and discipline. The peer education was very
helpful for many of the students. The students participate and ask questions
freely because they consider you as their friend. The presenter also makes
all necessary preparations on the subject he/she teaches.

Q: What is your observation on the advantages of peer education?

It was really helpful. But, the most important thing is that students have
to acquire the necessary base while they were in their respective schools.
The peer education helps the students who have a good base; it is a plus. If
took the 116 students who scored full marks in the matriculation last year,
they were those who joined Sawa with good performance. If you were weak in
the last years of your school years, you couldn't improve dramatically in
eight months in Sawa. So, the base is important.

Q: What was the advantage of being together in Sawa?

Living, learning, working.together was a big advantage in various aspects.
Every program helps those who have some base than those without any. So, we
need to look at the standard of education in the elementary, junior and
secondary schools of the country.

Some say that since you have enough time for studying Sawa is a perfect
place for a student. But, others say since the students are away from home
they couldn't succeed. What is your opinion?

I totally disagree with those who say that there is stress in Sawa. You have
enough time to study, relax, and to work. If you properly manage your time
it is more than enough. You have to be optimistic and visionary so as to
benefit from the qualities of Sawa.

Q: What do you think your matriculation marks would have been had you
attended 12th grade in Asmara?

It is obvious that in the cities you get extra teaching materials such as
laboratory, library, internet service and so on. But only those who manage
themselves benefit from such advantages. In the opposite of this, there are
many glittering and entertaining things that divert the mind of the youth in
cities. In the rural area, too, in addition to the shortages of facilities,
students are engaged in farming activities. But, in Sawa you have group
discussion and enough time to focus on your studying. Your supervisors
follow you regularly. Seeing students working hard you become inspired. So,
attending 12th grade in Sawa had its own advantages.

Q: What is the main reason behind your success?

I think it is my parents role. The morale support they give me enabled me to
win the first prize in my studies. While I was in Fre-Selam elementary
school and Dembe Sembel Secondary School the parents' committee was very
powerful and well organized. So, it is the combination of different things
and personal initiative that gave me power I would say.

Q: What are your future plans?

I believe that living in this world has to mean something. If you believe
that you could do something big and strived for it, nothing deters you. When
I was young I used to tell my friends that if you looked for 'M' in the
encyclopaedia after 30 or 40 years, you would find Meron has done that and
this. And I think that I have to contribute something big for my country and
to the world. I would like to study the highest level in 'Genetic
Engineering.'

C Copyright 2001-2009 Shaebia.org