[dehai-news] [CHANGE.ORG PETITION] Stop Scapegoating Eritrea! No evidence, no sanction! No Sanctions based on Lies!

From: Araia G. Ephrem (agephrem@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 20:28:07 EST

Selam All,
I posted a petition on Change.org. We are targeting 5000 petitioners. I also posted it in Facebook.com. The petition is the one written by OEA and posted in Dehai. I did a minor edition, but the content is the same in spirit and (letter). The petition goes to President Barak Obama and your State representatives both Democrats and Republicans. Once you open the link below, please press the button that says "TAKE ACTION". The contents of the petition letter is pasted below for your convenience. Please spread the link as much as possible. All sovereign websites are copied in this memo.

LINK: http://www.change.org/actions/view/stop_scapegoating_eritrea_no_sanctions_based_on_lies

Please read and pass the link to others.
Araia G. Ephrem

PETITION LETTER CONTENT:

Dear Mr. President,

We are writing to request that you oppose in the strongest language possible the draft resolution in the U.N. Security Council to impose sanctions against Eritrea based on fabricated information. A careful look will show you that those responsible for the problems in Somalia are those that have historical antagonism with Somalia, not Eritrea.

We are in support of your policy of constructive engagement, reconciliation and partnership with the rest of the world. Sadly, your UN team is talking about sanctions against Eritrea on charges repeatedly proven to be groundless. In a decade where we want all nations to abide by the rule of law, the UN seems to be the first violator of the rule of law. The UN must provided evidences for its allegation through legal grounds before it it decides to act. While the fact remains that the allegation against Eritrea is fabricated, why is your Foreign Policy Team talking of sanctions instead of engagement? Why threats instead of reconciliation? And why punishments instead of partnerships? We hope you keep your positive promises.

The UN Security Council must exercise a fair and just practice in evaluating all the facts and evidence to find a lasting peace in the Horn of Africa and should not be swayed by those that have an axe to grind against Eritrea; the lives of innocent people are at stake.

Thank you.