[dehai-news] (Sportinglife) KEFLEZIGHI TARGETS BOSTON TRIUMPH

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 19:51:28 EST

19/12/09 00:45 GMT

KEFLEZIGHI TARGETS BOSTON TRIUMPH

Former Olympic silver medallist Meb Keflezighi is aiming to add the 2010
Boston Marathon title to his celebrated success in New York last month.

The 34-year-old Eritrea-born star, who became a US citizen 11 years ago,
finished third in Boston in 2006 and is determined to improve on that on
April 19 next year.

"Boston has a great tradition not only to the running community but also
to the rest of the world," said Keflezighi, who finished second at the
Athens Games behind Italian Stefano Baldini in 2004.

"It has always been my ultimate goal to win the Boston Marathon."

His participation will see a rematch with Ryan Hall, the second fastest
American runner of all-time, who himself was third in this year's race
last spring.

"As soon as I finished the 2009 Boston Marathon, I knew I wanted to be
back for the 2010 race," Hall said.

"I'm thankful for the opportunity to come back as part of the John
Hancock Elite team and try to master the course that mastered me last
year.

"I will be one year stronger this April and more importantly one year
smarter."

The Keflezighi-Hall match-up has raised hopes there could be an American
winner for the first time in 27 years, although the pair are expected -
as ever - to face stiff competition from some top Africans.

"Meb and Ryan are among the very best and brightest stars in US distance
running," said Guy Morse, the meeting's executive director.

"Meb has led the resurgent American men since he won the silver medal at
the Athens Olympics in 2004, and Ryan's full potential at the marathon
distance is yet to be realised.

"We look forward to providing the stage for both of them to continue
their success and development."

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=others/
09/12/18/ATHLETICS_Boston.html