[dehai-news] Somalia Inquiry Committee

From: Sophia Tesfamariam (sophia_tesfamariam@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 05:08:51 EST

Somalia Inquiry Committee
Sophia Tesfamariam

24 December 2009 will mark three years since the aggressive US-backed Ethiopia war of invasion and occupation of Somalia began. Despite what the media and some ill advised analysts say, the Ethiopian intervention in Somalia has not ended and Ethiopian troops have not left Somalia. The presence of Ethiopian, Burundi and Ugandan forces in Somalia have angered Somalis and fueled the tensions there. The Ethiopian invasion and occupation of Somalia has caused the greatest humanitarian disaster in the history of Somalia:

§ Over 20000 Somalis have been killed
§ Thousands more have been injured and maimed
§ 1.2 million have been displaced from Mogadishu alone
§ 3.5 million have been displaced in the country
§ 3.5 million are now dependent on international food aid
§ Etc. etc.

The carnage and destruction wrought in Somalia by the minority regime in Ethiopia and its ill advised partners is massive and warrants an international inquiry. Instead of white washing Ethiopia’s crimes and exacerbating the situation in Somalia by blaming others for mistakes and miscalculations made in Somalia, the Security Council ought to form a Somali Inquiry Committee, similar to the Iraq Inquiry in the UK to investigate the root cause of the instability in Somalia.

If there was a Somali Inquiry Committee established and it was allowed to do its work without interferences, several individuals and governments would be held accountable for the disaster created in Somalia. Meles Zenawi, the genocidal Prime Minister of Ethiopia and his “skirted” friends at the US State Department would top the list. So what would a Somalia Inquiry Committee find?

1. The Somalia Inquiry Committee will find that neither the UN Security Council, nor the African Union had any legal or moral mandates to “install”, “establish”, or “prop up” governments in Somalia, or anywhere else in the world. By virtue of the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, all peoples have the right, to freely and without external interference, to determine their political status and to pursue their economic, social and cultural development, and that every State has the duty to respect that right in accordance with the provisions of the Charter (Article 2.1).

2. The Somalia Inquiry Committee will find that the principles of sovereignty and non-interference in the internal affairs of States enshrined in Article 2.7 of the UN Charter was violated by the minority regime in Ethiopia led by Prime Minister Meles Zenawi for the last 16 years. UN documents clearly show a history of interventions in Somalia by the regime in Ethiopia.

3. The Somalia Inquiry Committee will find the Ethiopian war of invasion and occupation in Somalia illegal, unjust and unwarranted. It was in violation of the UN Charter, African Union Charter, IGAD resolution (2005) and several Security Council Resolutions on Somalia including Resolutions 1724, 1725 and 1744.

4. On examination of the 26 June 2006 UN memo written by Azzouz Ennifar, the Somalia Inquiry Committee would find that Jendayi Frazer, rear Admiral, US Navy Richard W. Hunt, Commander Combined Joint task Horn of Africa, Ambassador Vikki Huddleston, US Charge d’Affaires in Addis Ababa as well as Colonel Richard Orth, the military Attaché at the US Embassy in Addis Ababa and Ethiopian officials invented a bogeyman in Somalia in order to plan and execute the December 2006 Ethiopian invasion and occupation of Somalia.

5. The Somali Inquiry Committee would also find Jendayi Frazer and Vicki Huddleston covered up the crimes and human rights violations committed by the minority regime in Ethiopia in order to advance and effectuate the racist, Islam phobic and incoherent US policy for the Horn of Africa, including Somalia These two “skirted” friends of the reckless, street smart Prime Minister prevented lawmakers from taking any punitive actions against Meles Zenawi’s genocidal regime. When the whole world was viewing the satellite pictures of the carnage in the Ogaden region of Ethiopia, Jendayi E. Frazer during a hearing held by the Subcommittee on Africa claimed that the genocides in the Ogaden region of Ethiopia were “unsubstantiated”. The Science and Human Rights Program at AAAS, analyzed several before and after satellite images of villages and found villages and small towns in the Wardheer, Dhagabur and Qorrahey Zones, that appeared to have been burned or destroyed.

6. The Somalia Inquiry Committee would find the minority regime in Ethiopia guilty of deliberately and maliciously feeding “highly questionable intelligence” to US military officials. For Meles Zenawi and his belligerent regime, playing up the Al-Qaeda threat was a convenient way to get U.S. backing and public sympathy. Based on Ethiopia’s faulty intelligence, the US strikes in Somalia pulverized villages and farms and caused the deaths, injuries and maiming of innocent Somalis.