[dehai-news] (BIV) Vancouver Company Taking the Lead in Eritrea Gold Rush

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 00:45:20 EST

NOTE: This email was sent to me by: Kin Communications Inc.

Business in Vancouver December 8-14, 2009; issue 1050

Vancouver Company Taking the Lead in Eritrea Gold Rush

Nevsun Resources gambling on a risky African venture that could produce
huge dividends for itself and an impoverished African nation

By Krisendra Bisetty

For decades, foreign investors avoided a tiny African country whose
struggle for independence and border war had left it damaged and dirt
poor.

But one Vancouver company has set up a massive base in the Horn of
Africa, as it leads a charge of global opportunity seekers into Eritrea,
a country roughly a tenth of the size of B.C.

Eritrea's 30-year fight with neighbouring Ethiopia ended in 1991 when
rebels defeated government forces, and although its independence was
shaken two years later by a border war that could erupt again, Cliff
Davis thinks the rewards are worth the risks.

"The reason we're in Eritrea is that there is a fabulous deposit there,"
said Davis, president and CEO of Nevsun Resources Ltd. (TSX, Amex:NSU).

The company is betting a US$250 million gold mine it's building in the
impoverished country, which has no history of modern-day mining, will
provide a significant payoff for shareholders and become Eritrea's
biggest revenue source.

"As we approach production, we will increase significantly in value as
the market better understands the cash that will be generated from this
mine," said Davis. "Given that this would produce significant foreign
currency, in terms of taxes for the government, it will have a very
significant impact [on] its GDP."

The development of the high-grade Bisha gold-copper-zinc deposit would
also produce training and employment opportunities for locals.

In a country whose population is a little more than that of B.C. and
where subsistence agriculture is about its only major economic activity
- 80% of Eritrea's people are involved in farming and herding - a gold
mine is being viewed with awe.

"It'll definitely be the biggest project of any sort in the country, and
obviously a huge revenue source for the country," said Stefan Ioannou,
an analyst with Haywood Securities Inc. who toured the site earlier this
year. "I think the government is pretty excited about it."

Eritrea's government took a 40% stake in the project through state-run
Eritrean National Mining Corp. (Enamco).
That's not necessarily a bad thing, Ioannou said, because it's in the
government's best interests to get the mine operating sooner than later.

"Time and time again, in other jurisdictions where the government
doesn't have a significant interest in a project, they can care less if
a project starts tomorrow or 10 years from now," he said. "Even with a
60% ownership, the economics coming off this project are extremely
robust and extremely good for Nevsun."

Enamco has also provided US$60 million for Bisha, and Nevsun, which last
month raised $32.7 million in a private-placement financing, has already
raised the balance of the project capital through equity and debt
financing.

Davis said concentrate and refining agreements have been finalized. The
gold will be refined in Switzerland and Canada by two major
international companies; the copper concentrate will be shipped to major
smelters in Europe and India.

Bisha is an open-pit mine that's about 40% built. It will be Nevsun's
second African mine and is expected to be in operation in late 2010 with
staged production of approximately 900,000 ounces of gold, 700 million
pounds of copper and one billion pounds of zinc.

However, Nevsun sold a small gold mine in Mali last year after
encountering operating challenges.
In Eritrea, where the last and only mine - and a small one at that -
operated in the early part of the last century, the challenges include
sourcing skills and materials from outside the country, including from
South Africa.

Those challenges could delay construction, said Ioannou. "I anticipate
delays, but that's not to say it won't get built."

Although mining in Eritrea has been largely overlooked amid the "ongoing
war" with Ethiopia, he added Bisha's discovery sparked a lot of interest
in the country and brought in the likes of Vancouver companies Sunridge
Gold Corp. (TSX-V:SGC) and NGEx Resources Inc. (TSX:NGQ), which is in
the Lundin Group stable.

NG stands for "No Guts. No Glory," a favourite motto of the group's
founder, the late Adolf Lundin.
"It's really opened up the entire country," Ioannou said of Bisha.
"There's no doubt about it. It's a world-class project.".

kbisetty@telus.net

A detailed stock quote on TSX: NSU can be found here.

For Investor Relations Contact:

kin communications inc.
tel. 604.684.6730 | tf. 1.866.684.6730 | fax. 604.684.6740 | click to
call kin
ir@kincommunications.com | www.kincommunications.com
suite # 210 - 736 granville street, vancouver, bc V6Z 1G3

To ensure you are receiving our emails please add
ir@kincommuniations.com to your address book.

http://www.biv.com/subscriber/16mr_vancouver.asp