[dehai-news] (The Citizen) Eritrea players are disciplined and play entertaining, and attacking football - Tanzania coach

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 08:13:14 EST

  http://thecitizen.co.tz/newe.php?id=16095

Maximo: We've to step up
 By Michael Momburi, Nairobi

Kilimanjaro Stars head coach Marcio Maximo has urged his
players to step up their gear as they clash with Eritrea in the
Orange Challenge Cup quarterfinal match today at Nyayo Stadium.

The Brazilian said the match would be tough since Eritrea are disciplined
and play entertaining, and attacking football. "We're heading into a very
difficult stage, therefore we have to show our real grit even through
Eritrea pose a threat," he said. Maximo added:

"There is no shortcut to the top, we have to shove them off tomorrow (today)
before thinking about the prospects of romping into the final."

Kilimanjaro Stars sailed through to the quarterfinal stage after edging out
clueless Burundi 1-0 at the Mumias Sports Complex.

The mainland side got their Group C campaigns underway to a slow start after
losing to holders Uganda 2-0 in the opener.

Smarting from the painful defeat, Kili Stars revived their hopes after
posting a wafer thin 1-0 victory over
their isles counterparts, Zanzibar Heroes.

"I have brilliant players who can give us the results we want,
but all they need is to maintain discipline," he said. Two Kilimanjaro Stars
players have so far picked red cards in their first two matches of the group
stages.

Juma Nyoso picked his red card in the opening game against The Cranes while
Kigi Makasi was sent off when they locked horns with Zanzibar.

The mainland team would be hard pressed to win all their remaining
encounters in order to match the 1994 record. Eritrea thumped lowly Somalia
3-1 on their way to the quarterfinal stage.

Meanwhile, Zanzibar will tomorrow pit their wits against Zambia's
Chipolopolo at the same venue. The Heroes head coach Hemed Morocco expressed
his optimism ahead of today's match saying they were psychologically ready
for the match.

"Every team wanted to reach this stage and we made it, so we are determined
to reach the highest stage," the Zanzibar tactician said.