[dehai-news] (BBC) Eritrea looses to Rwanda

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 13:44:29 EST

*
Page last updated at 17:14 GMT, Thursday, 3 December 2009
   <http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8393920.stm?ad=1>
   Rwanda qualify, Zim go closer

Rwanda have secured their place in the quarter-finals of the Cecafa Senior
Challenge - the regional tournament for East and Central Africa.

The Amavubi go through to the last eight after a 2-1 win over Eritrea in
Nairobi on Thursday.

Meanwhile Zimbabwe beat Somalia 2-0 to move closer to reaching the
quarter-finals.

The win puts them on four points after their 0-0 draw with Eritrea earlier
in the tournament.

Rwanda's win was their second of the campaign.

Ndayishime Yusuf put them ahead in the 15th minute and an own goal by
Eritrea's Ermias Wolday in the 35th minute doubled the lead.

Eritrea never lost hope and their consolation goal came in the 85th minute
from Tesfaldet Goitom.

They still have a chance of making it through provided they beat Somalia on
Saturday.

In the day's other game, Zimbabwe got their first win of the tournament when
they beat Somalia, who are now out of the competition.

The reigning Southern African champions, who are taking part as guests,
snatched the lead in the 31st minute through Mangezi Tapiwa.

Their second goal came early in the second half, thanks to captain Zhokinyi
Guthrie.

Despite the defeat, Somalia coach Abdi Farah was happy with his team's
performance.

"We gave our best despite the many problems back at home," he told a post
match news conference.

His Zimbabwe opposite number Mapeza Norman said he was happy with the win as
it moved them closer to the quarters.

"Somalia definitely played better than we expected and this confirms that
there are no small teams in this tournament," he said.
*