[dehai-news] (Standard, Nairobi) Zimbabwe held 0-0 by Eritrea: Red Sea Boys left Nyayo National Stadium shoulders high

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 12:14:28 EST

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/InsidePage.php?id=1144029449&cid=38&
Zimbabwe held 0-0 by Eritrea at Nyayo

Wednesday, 2nd December 2009
By Oscar Pilipili

Eritrea’s Red Sea Boys left Nyayo National Stadium shoulders high after they
held Confederation of Southern African Football Association (Cosafa)
champions Zimbabwe to a barren draw in a Pool ‘B’ match of the Orange Senior
Challenge Cup.

The pre-match favourites Zimbabwe met a rude shock in Eritrea who displayed
a skillful and purposeful game throughout the match.

Eritrea showed their intent to win just after five minutes when Goitam
Tesfaldet broke loose on the right flank and moved menacingly towards the
goal.

Zimbabwe goalkeeper Dube Tafadzwa was forced to move out of his area to
clear the ball for a throw-in.

In reply, Zimbabwe’s corner off a counterattack was well taken by Mangezi
Tapiwa, but was cleared off the line by Alemayo Ayele in the sixth minute.

Tesfaldet who was a constant threat in the Zimbabwean defence had another
fantastic run in the eighth minute when he sneaked into Zimbabwe box but his
combination with Bruk Asres failed to materialise.

Zimbabwe entered into the match hours after arriving in Nairobi and head
coach Mapeza Norman blamed fatigue for the dismal show. He said: "We never
trained together as a team and we needed at least two days to acclimatize
but this didn’t happen," he said.

"I hope we tomorrow we shall get the time to train together before we take
on Somalia in the next match," he said. Mapeza said he has faith in his
squad that is made up of under-23 players.

Eritrea coach Negash Negasi said he was satisfied with the performance of
his team for holding Southern Africa champions to a draw.

"I knew Zimbabwe are Cosafa champions and although my strikers lost several
chances we’re happy with the draw," he said.

Negasi said he plans to change his striking formation ahead of the next
match against Rwanda.

"I have seen Rwandese play but we hope to play a good game against them," he
said. The second half of the match was equally explosive and entertaining
with both teams struggling to reap maximum points.

Red Sea Boys best moment came in the 86th minute when Abraham Tedros rounded
Zimbabwe defenders but his feeble shot was easily picked by custodian Dube
Tafadzwa.Few fans watched the match yesterday but the attendance is expected
to increase with hosts Harambee Stars in action against Djibout today.