[dehai-news] Shabait.com: Making History Preserves History

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 05:59:19 EST

Making History Preserves History

Tuesday, 01 December 2009 11:13 | Written by Shabait Admin |

The people of Eritrea have a very unique and proud history on the rights and
equality of women. As it has been reiterated by President Isaias Afwerki on
the occasion of 30th anniversary of the founding of the National Union of
Eritrean Women, the proud feats and contributions of Eritrean women in our
struggle for independence are nearly unparalleled anywhere else in the
course of history. An achievement such as this speaks for itself and does
not require drawing attention into or an overstatement.

This remarkable political experience should not be left only to history.
What has been achieved, and all the dynamism that has been generated as a
result of all the accomplishments registered has become an essential driving
factor in the nation-building process.

For the people of Eritrea, the question of rights and equality of women has
always and will always be part of their broader vision in the
nation-building process. It is our vision to make Eritrea a nation free of
exploitation, discrimination, poverty and a place where fellow citizens can
work and develop themselves; to eventually create a developed society. As
societies such as this one can not be conceived without ensuring equal
participation for women, it would be enough to state that equality is the
cornerstone of development.

As it has been said by President Isaias Afwerki, numerous old and modern
social structures have contributed their role in enlarging the gender gap in
their pursuit of ensuring the supremacy of a given economic class over
another. In the course of the blunder, women were the ones that were
adversely affected. And any struggle, whether it is a social or national
struggle, is always a dynamic process that seeks to abolish exploitation and
correct the errors of history.

Therefore, it is essential to view the role of women as one important part
of our history, and a subsection of the struggle of the Eritrean masses for
independence. It is the duty of every Eritrean citizen to work and endeavor
to ensure the rightful status of women in the society.

In order to achieve our national vision, we must always make new and
sustainable history without resorting to the past achievements. The question
of women is one of the pillars of our vision. Hence, there is a need to
concentrate on the important and practical programs and real issues and
objectives that eventually would bring sustainable economic and social
changes leaving aside issues that seem to be of importance but are secondary
ones. It is with this out look and effective labor distribution that it is
possible to build a developed society. Good journey for apparent victory!

Last Updated (Tuesday, 01 December 2009 11:17)