[dehai-news] (CalgaryHerald) Calgary woman devastated by loss of husband in garage fire

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 11:36:23 EST

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calgary+woman+devastated+loss+husband+garage+fire/2249225/story.html
Calgary
woman devastated by loss of husband in garage fire

 Two victim located near burned vehicle in northeast garage

By Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald
November 21, 2009 Comments (16)

CALGARY- The wife of a man who died in a garage fire in northeast Calgary
Friday night says she is shattered by the death of her husband, who was
“everything” to her.

Family and friends of Emanuel Kifle, 36, said he moved to Calgary from
Eritrea less than two years ago to build a better life.

Emergency crews were called to his home in the city’s northeast Friday at
about 7:30 p.m., where he was found dead in the garage, along with another
person.

Members of Calgary’s Eritrean community gathered in a Renfrew home Saturday
afternoon to provide comfort to Kifle’s devastated widow, Senayit Andebrhan.

“He was very kind,” said Andebrhan, 33, sobbing.

“I don’t know what to say. He was everything to me.”

Andebrhan was at work at her downtown office cleaning job when she heard the
sad news Friday night.

She has no other family in Calgary.

The couple were married in Eritrea before they moved to Canada in 2007. They
had planned to start a family in Calgary.

“He was looking forward to growing better and working hard,” said his
cousin, Azmera Mamo.

Kifle was a mechanic, and was studying to write his journeyman’s test next
month so he could find better work in Calgary.

The tall, cheerful man had a magnetic personality, said Mamo.

“He was very kind, very giving,” Mamo said.

“So many people know him.”

He had family members in Africa and Europe, as well as a brother in
Vancouver, who is en route to Calgary after learning the news.

“I’m in shock. When you look at him, he’s very tall, a healthy man, you
never think death will get him,” said Mamo.

“I’m still thinking it’s a dream.”

Mamo said the other man who died in the garage was Kifle’s best friend.

Investigators haven’t said what caused the fire.

A burnt-out vehicle was on jacks inside the garage.

Neighbour Mike Davis said he was watching TV when he heard a loud noise.

“I heard a whoosh, like when you start your barbecue and it’ doesn’t catch.
All of a sudden it was all orange light coming in the window,” said Davis.

“I looked out and the garage was on fire, and I just called 911.”

His wife and kids were just walking in the front door when the blaze broke
out, Davis said.

“They said ‘There’s a fire and someone’s screaming Help, help.’ ”

When crews arrived on Friday night, the detached garage was ablaze.

“The fire was knocked down in about a minute or so and that’s when we came
across the bodies,” said fire department spokesman Jeff Budai.

“Unfortunately, two patients involved were overcome by smoke and flame by
the time we got to them.”

Fire officials say there was a vehicle on jacks inside the garage but that
it’s too early to tell if the victims were working on it.

“At this point it doesn’t seem suspicious in nature but we don’t want to
jump to any conclusions, so we’ve brought the arson unit down,” said Budai.

Mamo said community members are still breaking the sad news to Kifle’s loved
ones. A collection has been started to help his wife.

“In our community, we’re all family,” she said.

with files from Deborah Tetley