[dehai-news] (Wall Street Journal) Running Man: The last word belongs to Meb Keflezighi

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 19:40:11 EST

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704204304574545691839032268.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
OPINION: THE WEEKEND INTERVIEW
NOVEMBER 20, 2009, 6:34 P.M. ET Running Man The New York City marathon
champion on running, religion and what it means to be an American.
By BARI WEISS

When Meb Keflezighi finished the New York City Marathon in two hours, nine
minutes and 15 seconds the morning after Halloween, he became the first
American to win the race in 27 years. But some spectators apparently missed
the three red letters on his chest as he burst through the tape. Keflezighi
is only "technically American," argued CNBC sports writer Darren Rovell.
He's "like a ringer who you hire to work a couple hours at your office so
that you can win the executive softball league."

Though Mr. Rovell has since backtracked, nobody recalls similar comments
about Alberto Salazar, the Cuban-born American who won in 1982. And if Meb's
name was Joe Smith and he was born in England rather than Eritrea, few would
have questioned his national identity.

When I meet Meb the morning after his appearance on the David Letterman
show—almost as great as winning the race, he quips—he is unbothered by the
debate raging on the Web about his American-ness. "What's the list of things
you need to be an American?" he asks rhetorically. "You live here, you pay
taxes, you live by the American way. I've been here for 22 years. I'm as
American as you can get."

As for wearing the USA tank top: "What a beautiful day to wear it on. In New
York, to win my first marathon in that jersey—it just gave me great pride."

Talking to the 5-foot-6-inch athlete as he is massaged, iced, stretched and
bent by his physical therapist on the Upper West Side, I could easily forget
that he is one of the fastest men in the world. Unlike so many other
professional athletes—huge in ego and stature—Meb is modest in both.

Which is not to say the 34-year-old isn't thrilled about winning his first
marathon. "My email is full, my texting is full, my voicemail is full," he
tells me with an incredulous smile. "I was kind of late coming here because
for the first time since I got to New York I went to the breakfast place at
the Hilton. And it was nonstop: 'You're not leaving 'til I get this
picture,' or 'I need your autograph.'"

Yet he's quick to add: "It's a big honor. With fame and with winning comes
responsibility." Meb doesn't see the need to be a role model as a choice:
"You have to. People are following you whether you like it or not."

It's almost too convenient to chalk up Meb's character to his upbringing.
Nevertheless, like so many other immigrant success stories, understanding
Meb's parents and their values is essential to understanding who he is. He
puts it simply: "They molded me."

Born in 1975, Mebrahtom (his full name means "let there be light") grew up
in an Eritrean village with no electricity and no running water. Besides
poverty, Meb's parents, Russom and Awetash, feared for their family's safety
because of Russom's involvement with the Eritrean Liberation Movement and
because of the ongoing war with Ethiopia. Meb's father decided to flee. "He
walked all the way"—60 miles—to Sudan, Meb says. Russom eventually made his
way to Milan, Italy, where he worked to raise the money to bring his family
out of East Africa.

On Oct. 21, 1987, a date that rolls off Meb's tongue, the family immigrated
to San Diego as refugees with the help of the Red Cross and the sponsorship
of Meb's half-sister, Ruth. "Dad used to wake up at 4 a.m. so we could learn
English," Meb says. "He worked as a taxi driver and worked in restaurants to
be able to feed the family."

Meb adds, "You start on the bottom, work hard, and your dreams will come
true—and that's what happened. We have a very successful family because my
parents always emphasized using the opportunity you have to the maximum:
'There are a lot of people that don't have this opportunity, so make sure
you use it.' That stuck in our head."

They stressed school to their 11 children. "Sports was not in our blood or
in our family," Meb says. "So it was 'Do what you can and work hard. Your
teachers are your parents when you are at school. They want the best for
you, so make sure you listen to them."

Meb's oldest brother, Fitsum, was the trailblazer. He started ninth grade
not knowing a word of English. By the end of the year, he won the top
academic prize. The Keflezighis still have the tiny trophy 22 years later.

That ethic was key to Meb's success. "When I started running for the first
time—seventh grade—I wanted to get that A, just like my parents taught me."

Meb had never run in his native country and had no concept of running as a
sport. But his family's San Diego apartment was down the road from Morley
Field where the national Foot Locker high school championship is held. "When
I saw them running, the high school champions, I was like 'What are these
crazy people running for?' They're not chasing a soccer ball or anything
else."

Meb's two older brothers decided to take up the sport, he says, and "I just
followed in their footsteps." At 12, he ran his first mile. He clocked in at
five minutes and 20 seconds—with no training. Dick Lord, the PE teacher at
Roosevelt Junior High, called up the high school coach on the spot: "Hey, we
got an Olympian here."

Ron Tabb, who ran the marathon in 2:09 in 1983, saw similar potential in the