[dehai-news] Shabait.com: Our National Associations: Source Of Our Pride

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 14:48:26 EST

Our National Associations: Source Of Our Pride

Wednesday, 18 November 2009 09:58 | Written by Shabait Admin |

The slogan that the EPLF used right from the beginning, "Politicize,
Organize and Arm the Masses," is one of the basic foundations of the victory
achieved by the people of Eritrea. Our liberation struggle succeeded because
it was founded on people. Had there not been a strong connection between the
liberation movement and the people, the struggle would not have survived,
let alone succeeded. The support was effective because it came in an
organized form. Pointing out that our successes cannot be divorced from the
rich experience of the past and drawing on our rich cultural heritage and on
the progressive values we developed during the liberation struggle, to
develop an Eritrean culture characterized by strong vision and commitment to
Eritrea. It must build upon the strong foundation already established by the
EPLF. It must inherit and improve the exemplary policies and practices
gained from past experience. Progress registered upon such values is
evident.

One of the significant role during the struggle for independence was, the
role played by the different umbrella associations in galvanizing workers,
farmers, women, the youth and other sections of society. As a result, our
struggle achieved visible expansion and broad participation from both
genders as well as unreserved support from Eritrean workers, farmers as well
as students and others. These associations, subscribing to the EPLF's belief
that indoctrination of the masses brings forth a strong force, rallied the
masses to work under one banner and forged an impregnable force through
proper organization and guidance.

It would be no exaggeration to claim that such an achievement has few equals
in the history of liberation movements. It is a testimony to, and a
manifestation of the political maturity of the people of Eritrea and its
leadership as well as the organization and unity they gave rise to.
Achieving national independence and sovereignty is the conclusion of an
important chapter in the history of the people of Eritrea, yet at the same
time, the beginning of a new chapter. Today, the people of Eritrea face the
task of building a peaceful, just and prosperous society, a task which is
more difficult and more complicated than the past task of achieving
independence.

Our vision is to build a nation where prosperity, justice, peace reign
supreme. Our vision is for Eritrea to preserve its identity and uniqueness,
develop commitment to family and community care, and by advancing
economically, educationally and technologically, find itself among the
developed countries. Our vision is for Eritrean society to be known for
harmony among its different sectors, gender equality, love of country,
humanity, discipline, hard work and love for knowledge, respect for law and
order, independence and inventiveness.

It suffices to state that in order for Eritrea to become economically
advanced, it should become a nation where workers and work rights are
respected, a nation which provides conducive atmosphere for workers to
develop their skills and vocations. The role of the national associations is
therefore decisive in achieving our visions and fulfilling our dreams.