[dehai-news] VOA:US To Check Charges Ethiopia Uses Food Aid To Buy Votes

From: amirhalay@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 12:59:54 EST

US To Check Charges Ethiopia Uses Food Aid To Buy Votes

INTRO: The United States is increasing its monitoring of food aidshipments to Ethiopia amid accusations the country's ruling party isusing the aid to buy votes. VOA's Peter Heinlein reports a senior U.S.official visiting Addis Ababa is raising the aid misuse issue at a timewhen the U.S./Ethiopia relationship appears strained.

TEXT: Deputy assistant secretary of state Karl Wycoff says the UnitedStates takes seriously allegations that Ethiopia's ruling party iswithholding food aid from opposition supporters. A coalition ofopposition groups recently charged its members were being deniedassistance given to members of Prime Minister Meles Zenawi's EthiopianPeople's Revolutionary Democratic Front.

An EPRDF spokesman rejected the charge, calling it 'an allegation without evidence'.

Speaking Friday after what he called a "frank" discussion with PrimeMinister Meles, Wycoff said the United States would redouble efforts toensure food is not used as a political weapon in a country wheremillions are suffering from malnutrition.

///WYCOFF ACT///

"We are aware of these reports of what could be called thepoliticization of the delivery of humanitarian assistance and the USAIDoffice here is increasing the number of field visits with a view towardlooking into this and ensuring our humanitarian assistance is deliveredin the best way possible."

///END ACT///

Wycoff said overall, ties between Washington and Addis Ababa are good,despite some signs of strain. The Obama administration has not named anambassador to Ethiopia, and Ethiopia's envoy to the United States wascalled home recently, and has not been replaced.

Prime Minister Meles has recently taken a few pointed verbal shots atthe United States. In a speech last week, he blamed the failures of theU.S. financial system for Africa's economic problems. Answering aquestion in parliament, he blasted what he called the 'food aidindustry', suggesting their motive was more about making money thansaving lives.

The United States is Ethiopia's largest food aid donor, giving 80% of the total or about $700 million worth last year.

Wycoff said his talks with Prime Minister Meles had touched on these and other contentious issues.

///2nd WYCOFF ACT///

There was disagreement about some of the issues, we certainlyrecognize... the freedom that our partners have to express theiropinions freely and openly. We do the same, and in terms of the USrepresentation here, I can assure you that there is no hidden agenda,there is no political signal intended by the United States.

///END ACT///

Wycoff was also meeting during his visit with the head of Ethiopia'sNational Electoral Board to discuss what opposition groups charge isthe lack of a level playing field for next year's national elections.He said the United States sees "serious challenges" to the developmentof democracy in Africa's second largest nation.

///3rd WYCOFF ACT///

"The U.S. is concerned about what we see as reductions in thatpolitical space. The ability of opposition parties to operate and to dowhat opposition parties should do. There are continued reports of humanrights abuse."

///END ACT///

Wycoff's visit comes weeks before the official opening of Ethiopia'snational election campaign, as opposition parties are complaining theirmembers are being arrested to prevent them from registering ascandidates.

The ruling party has denied the charge, and accused the opposition offielding candidates with criminal backgrounds. The election is set forMay 23rd, though results will not be announced until late June. (Signed)