[dehai-news] "I honestly thought Sawa was not for me" interview with Huriat Yehdego

From: YPFDJ Media (media@youngpfdj.com)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 04:34:24 EST

http://youngpfdj.org/index.php/articles/interviews/144-i-honestly-thought-sa
wa-was-not-for-me-interview-with-huriat-yehdego
YPFDJ Media is conducting series of interviews with Eritrean youth
activists; who are striving to better their community, country and
themselves through education and chosen career. Here is our interview with
Huriat Yehdego, an Eritrean from Canada, currently taking CTA (Court and
Tribunal Administration) Program at Seneca College.

Hurait went to Sawa to visit her cousin in 2005 and after learning the
lifestyle in Sawa, she decided to do her National Service. Two years later,
she went back to Eritrea and completed her National Service; taking her
military training with the 21st round in Sawa and working in NUEYS Central
Office and teaching piano and violin. In this interview, Hurait shares her
experience in serving her country, military training and life in Sawa and
about her recent participation he 5th Annual YPFDJ-NA Conference that was
held from September 4th to September 7th in Washington D.C.

YPFDJ Media - You took military training in the 20th round in Sawa in 2007
as part of your national service, how did you decide to do it?
Before I took my training with the 21st round, I went to Sawa in 2005 to
visit my cousin who was in Sawa for grade 12 (19th round) and I was able to
see how the lifestyle was in Sawa. After going through the tour of Sawa, I
really liked the different way of living. It was completely different to the
lifestyle I was use to in Canada, and Asmara. Once I saw this, I decided
that I wanted to do my National Service as well and my parents told me that
it was a good idea to do this once I finished high school. Two years after,
I completed high school and went off to Eritrea to complete another mission
in life.

YPFDJ Media - Military training must involve hard physical and mental
training, what was your expectation and did you mange it well?

You are correct, military training in any country is hard physically. In
Sawa it is both, physically and mentally. I was able to adapt quite quickly
the first week, until the Friday. I was late to leave my room due to getting
my bed, and I with the other 20 girls had to do Fitili and right after that,
as part of the military training we had a 2 hour run. I got so tired that I
honestly thought Sawa was not for me and I should just give up. The great
thing about Sawa is the social life. There are so many people who help each
other out. When I told my friends that I couldn't do it, they all supported
me and said don't worry we all went through that during our first week. Once
they told me this, it gave me hope and the courage to continue. When I
completed Sawa, I was shocked. Lying on the floor, in the open desert,
looking at the stars, I just couldn't believe the fact that I completed it.
It is the kind of happiness that is unexplainable.

YPFDJ Media - You got to meet and spend long time with many young Eritreans
from different background, did you integrate well and what did you learn
from them or the way of life and culture?
In Sawa, you meet people from all the nine tribes. You meet people with
different behaviours from your own. I had close friends who were not just
from the tigrigna tribe. I first thought that I would not be able to
communicate with some people because, I was also learning tigrigna, and some
are not from the tigrigna tribe. But I was wrong! Everyone speaks tigrigna.
One of my closest friend that I made in Sawa, is Kunama. She spoke FLUENT
English. I was use to speaking in Tigrigna by then and she was not fluent in
tigrigna, she was fluent in Kunama, and English. I perceived that the youth
in Eritrea do not speak English, or not well. But I learned that I was
wrong, and that everyone speaks English and has a will to learn anything as
well.

YPFDJ Media - When you now think of Sawa, what do you miss most or what
memories come to your mind?
When I think of Sawa, I think about almost everything because I enjoyed
everything that occurred in Sawa, whether it was good or bad. I always think
about the times we would learn to march, because that was the most funniest.
The lieutenants would make fun of the people who would march weird, we
always had jokes told to us, and the competitions we had always made us
excited to work hard and win.

I would also remember the times we had our own gwalas. We would all gather
up and sing songs that were popular during that time, and take the jaloins
and hit them like they were a koboro. There were too many times that I
remember about Sawa. I miss the lifestyle there. I lived a life without the
material things people living in the Diaspora need to make the happy
(example: iPods, TV, Internet). I didn't have any of those things, yet I was
able to have the best time in Sawa. I would train during the day, joke
around and dance in the evenings, and wash my clothes during my weekends. It
was a lifestyle I wish I could go back to now!

YPFDJ Media - Was it your first time to attend the 5TH YPFDJ conference,
how did you find it and what kind of expectation did you have prior to
attending the conference? What are the benefits of the conference for the
youth in general and individuals particular?

It was my first time to participate at any YPFDJ Conferences. I found it
very interesting and fun. I met many new people and many friends from the
past. I didn't have much expectation because I was not too sure of the kind
of issues that will be dealt with at the conference. I was just waiting to
see the whole situation for myself.

I think that the youth gain a lot of information that could inspire them to
think of their own way of helping out their Eritrean community or even
better helping out in Eritrea !

I really enjoyed listening to all the lectures that was given by H.E
Minister Salih Mikkhi.

YPFDJ Media - As part of your national service you thought violin, how was
that?

Yes, as part of my National Service I was working in NUEYS Central Office in
Asmara, Eritrea and I was also teaching piano and the violin. It was a great
experience. I never taught music to anyone, that was my first time and it
was an experience that I learnt from. I was not perfect in Tigrigna at that
time, but the students made it possible for me to teach in a way that they
would understand. I gained the experience in teaching and I was able to
teach students the basics of music.

YPFDJ Media - You were part of the military march in the 2008 Independence
Day celebration, how did you feel and how was the general atmosphere?

I felt great! It was a once in a lifetime experience. I was so excited to
march down the street and into the Asmara Stadium in respect to the
Independence Day. I also felt a little nervous to march down, knowing that
everyone in the stadium will be watching me and anyone watching Eri.Tv as
well. It was fun and like I said a once in a life time experience.

 YPFDJ Media - During your stay in Eritrea , you visited many parts of
Eritrea , did it give any impression in which the direction Eritrea is
moving?

I participated in Zura N'Hagerka 2007 and I saw how Eritrea is developing. I
feel that Eritrea is doing well, even with many people complaining about the
government and the laws, but the government is the one making Eritrea a
better place. There are the main things needed in each city/town. For
example: schools, hospital, roads, etc. As for other things, the government
is teaching the people how they can survive on their own without reliance
from the government.

I truly believe that the way the country is going now, after 10 years
Eritrea will be more than a paradise. It is the youth, though, that will
make the difference. And there are many youth in Eritrea and in the Diaspora
that are gathering up and organizing clubs to teach one another and make the
difference. That is what is helping Eritrea become an even better nation.

YPFDJ Media - What did you gain out of the whole experience?

I gained the experience of living life with the basic necessities, and
enjoying life that way. I learned the behaviours and cultures of people from
different tribes. Also, I was able to learn how to speak Tigringna. I also
learned that just because I came from Canada, I should not be treated
special or different. I am just like the other people living in Eritrea, no
better no worse.

YPFDJ Media - What are your future plans?

My future plan is to get the youth more involved in one of the best
movements (YPFDJ). If not that, at least inform more youth to do SOMETHING
that will help make a difference in Eritrea , for the better that is.

I plan on going back to Eritrea, summer 2010. I will be helping out my
co-workers with the Sawa festival and Zura N'Hagerka 2010. Also, I plan on
finishing school and to go back to Eritrea to work and live.

YPFDJ Media - Who are your Mentors or people, you look up to?
Other than my immediate family, I look up to H.E President Isaias Afwerki.
He made many great changes and helped Eritrea in a way no other country was
able to do for their