[dehai-news] (Deadspin, Blog) American Who Won NYC Marathon Isn't American Enough For Some People

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 07:41:31 EST

http://deadspin.com/5395453/american-who-won-nyc-marathon-isnt-american-enough-for-some-people
American
Who Won NYC Marathon Isn't American Enough For Some People

American Meb Keflezighi won the New York City Marathon yesterday, which
seemed pretty cool until a couple of wet blankets came along to remind
everyone he's only "technically" American.

CNBC's Darren Rovell confesses that he's not feeling the slightest bit
patriotic today. He writes:

Meb Keflezighi, who won yesterday in New York, is technically American by
virtue of him becoming a citizen in 1998, but the fact that he's not
American-born takes away from the magnitude of the achievement the headline
implies.

[...]

Given our disappointing results, embracing Keflezighi is understandable. But
Keflezighi's country of origin is Eritrea, a small country in Africa. He is
an American citizen thanks to taking a test and living in our country.

That's right. An American *by Scantron*. Meb can run around with Old Glory
all he wants. Won't change the fact he was born not just in Africa, but in
an African country so damn un-American we made Ethiopia bomb the crap out of
it for us. So, no, Rovell will not be waving the flag today, thank you very
much. He's waiting for an *American* to win this goddamn race. Someone who
really represents these United States of ours. Maybe someone more like that
fellow who won way back in 1982, the last time an American broke the tape in
New York. Now *there* was a real American. Guy by the name of Alberto
Salazar.

Who was born in Havana.

Marathon's Headline Win Is Empty [CNBC]
http://www.cnbc.com/id/33587668
Technically, An American Won The NYC Marathon...Kinda [SB Nation]
http://www.sbnation.com/2009/11/2/1110793/technically-an-american-won-the

Send an email to Tommy Craggs, the author of this post, at
craggs@deadspin.com.