[dehai-news] 'We must be able to "Question the Question"', Interview with Fnan Desta (YPFDJ Canada)

From: YPFDJ Media (media@youngpfdj.com)
Date: Fri Oct 23 2009 - 08:58:43 EDT

<http://youngpfdj.org/index.php/articles/interviews/133-we-must-be-able-to-q
uestion-the-question-interview-with-fnan-desta>
http://youngpfdj.org/index.php/articles/interviews/133-we-must-be-able-to-qu
estion-the-question-interview-with-fnan-desta
YPFDJ Media - Please tell us about yourself?
Fnan - My name is Fnan Desta; I serve on the executive board of the YPFDJ
handling political affairs and research. I have been a member of the YPFDJ
since its founding conference in 2005. I have a BA in Political Science and
specialized in international affairs. Currently I am a direct banking
manager at the Bank of Montreal in Toronto Canada .
YPFDJ Media - How did you become interested in the profession or what you
studied?
Fnan - Although I work in the financial industry my passion is politics.
This is because I have always questioned the status quo and the order of the
day. I was never willing to go with the flow. I love discussing ideas and
being part of a change, as cliché as that might sound. My desire to study
politics was based on Eritrea’s history and experience, I never understood
why the United Nations deprived us of our independence after WW2 and told
myself I have to study politics to understand how the international system
works with all its injustices. I decided to defend and protect the interests
of Eritrea in any capacity that I can. And I know that the YPFDJ is a
vehicle that will allow me to get involved and be aware.
YPFDJ Media - After half a century, Eritrea is still the victim of the
world organisation, UN, the last 10 years the Eritrean people have witnessed
so much injustice as the UN continues to be a vehicle of blatant
victimisation; how does the international system work?
Fnan - There is no consensus among observers of the international system on
how it works. I choose to see the international system in somewhat of a
realist perspective which says that states by “nature” act in self interest.
By extension if any international system is in existence it serves those
that have the power to control it. As an optimist and somewhat of an
idealist I hate to see the international system through these lenses but the
facts supporting the realist view is everywhere. For example , the United
Nations is composed of an incredibly important decision making body called
the security council yet only the super powers or the winners of WW2 are
allowed to be permanent members holding veto power.
There is no doubt that the Security Council and the United Nations have
failed miserably at keeping the citizens of the world free from war,
oppression, injustice and corruption. Despite these problems the United
Nations is a gathering place for world leaders and their representatives to
engage in the art of diplomacy and build relationships among themselves. If
true reform is introduced to the United Nations, there might be away that we
can be confident about having a competent and effective world organization.
Countries of the world are simply asking to be respected.
YPFDJ Media - You are handling political affairs and research of your
chapter; this is a very important area of work for YPFDJ to make sure our
history, culture and values are passed on to this generation, how is YPFDJ
doing in this regard and how is the role of PFDJ members and officials?
Fnan - Although we are making encouraging progress, politics is still a
taboo to many youth. Some choose to define it narrowly as a divisive thing
and fear getting into discussions about it. The task of raising awareness is
difficult and cannot be completed in a day and our leadership is aware of
this. Our task has been to encourage discussion and debate.
We have the full support of the local PFDJ both at the local and national
level. Our local PFDJ teams work with us on organizing events and have been
vital for the development of the YPFDJ in Toronto .
YPFDJ Media - What sort of activities does your YPFDJ chapter carry out? And
how is it progressing?
Fnan - We develop programs that cater to different campaigns. For example at
the 4th YPFDJ Conference in DC, our North American resolution was to focus
on creating a sense of identity and belonging amongst youth in Diaspora. So
when we returned from the conference we quickly set up a reoccurring program
called “iRep Eritrea ”, which stands for “I represent Eritrea ”. We wanted
to make Toronto youth proud of their cultural heritage, so we displayed
different cultural dresses, artifacts and participated in making a
traditional coffee ceremony. We also included a cultural dance at the end of
our events to get them accustomed to it and prevent any feelings of shyness
or embarrassment.
YPFDJ Toronto has also begun to commemorate “Operation Fenkil” in line with
our efforts to commemorate Eritrean holidays that have either been ignored
in the Diaspora or simply forgotten. We are continuing to identify other
possible holidays that we can celebrate and bring to the attention of our
community.
YPFDJ Media - Although it has only four or five years since the formation of
YPFDJ, we have witnessed very rapid progress both in terms of activities and
membership, how has this been possible?
Fnan - I think there was a vacuum in our individual communities around the
world. Few communities had a functioning youth group. We saw youth groups
being formed and dissolve within 2 to 3 years. Youth were eager to join an
organization that was organized and promised to be consistent and stable.
The YPFDJ is here to stay and many youth feel a sense of comfort in that. I
also think that we have seen more participation because our cause is noble
and clear. We have 6 very powerful principles that we work to achieve,
National Harmony, Participatory Democracy, Economic Growth, Social Justice,
Cultural Revival and International and Regional Cooperation.
YPFDJ Media - What were the biggest highlights of the conference for you?
Fnan - The biggest highlight for me was seeing the presentation and updates
given by each respective city, state or country. The dynamic nature of these
groups was awesome and motivating. Some chapter presentations were beyond
what anyone could have expected and so much hard work was being done in
every chapter of our movement from the smallest hamlet to the largest
cosmopolitan cities across North America and beyond. Whether it was a book
drive to send books to fill the shelves of Eritrea ’s schools and libraries
or money being sent to support the martyrs’ trust fund, I was assured that
there had been a smooth transfer of responsibility from one generation to
another. One generation fought for the right to speak our language, display
our flag, and become one nation while the next generation will be
responsible for preserving our language, being proud of our flag and
shouting loudly that we are Eritrean.
YPFDJ Media - What are the benefits of the conference for the youth in
general and individuals in particular?
Fnan - Each person will respond differently to this question but I think
there are 3 essential benefits and they are networking, preservation of
culture and heightening political awareness.
Networking: We can simply say that it is a networking environment for young
and capable Eritreans. It is reassuring to meet highly educated or highly
inspired Eritrean youth interacting and discussing novel ideas. From
investment advisers to engineers to lawyers and PH.D. students, it’s really
encouraging to see so much of our country's wealth represented through
individual achievements and accomplishments.
Preservation of Culture: If we simply define what it means to be Eritrean by
our ability to speak one or more of Eritrea’s languages, dance to a song by
Helen Meles or Bekita Ali, or eat our national foods then we can say that
the conference offers us a venue to practice these things. My involvement
with the YPFDJ has proven to me that it is essential to encourage young
Eritreans in Diaspora to practice being an Eritrean just as we are taught in
school or through social situations what it means to be a Canadian or an
American. Despite our efforts to preserve our cultural customs and
traditions we acknowledge that culture changes and we don’t hold a dogmatic
approach to this either.
Heightening Political Awareness: Min. Saleh Mekhi’s Q &A period was a chance
for youth to ask questions directly without reservations. This is an
essential element of the conference that helps build our level of awareness
and hence makes us develop an informed opinion on the issues of the day.
We cannot afford to stand idle or to live in ignorance. We must be able to
“question the question” and find out where we stand as citizens of western
countries and citizens of Eritrea . Recently there have been many news
reports and publications discussing Eritrea in a negative tone; if we choose
to live in ignorance we will accept these reports at face value but if we
ask simple question like, who is the writer of the news report? How informed
is the writer about Eritrean politics? What are his/her affiliations? Then
we can say we properly examined the issue and came to a conclusion and our
conferences train us to ask these important questions. Dr. Ghidewon’s
presentation titled “psychological warfare” is an example of this.
YPFDJ Media - Was it your first time to attend the conference, how did you
find it and what kind of expectation did you have prior to attending the
conference?
Fnan - This was the 5th conference I attended since our inaugural conference
in 2005. And I am continually amazed at the incredible growth of our
movement. From a mere hundred or so people at the first conference, we have
seen the number of participants at our conferences grow close to six
hundred. Many more are being registered all over North America and our
membership is growing. I was especially inspired to see so many younger
Eritreans attend this year.
YPFDJ Media - What are the future plans for you personally or for the
movement in general?
Fnan - My personal plan is to stay connected with all our branches across
the country and our plan for this movement is to grow and be inviting to all
young, committed and capable Eritreans! Our membership is open to all
Eritreans who display an interest in Eritrea ’s future. Our intention is to
create a very strong and conscious patriotic youth movement in Canada .
YPFDJ Media - Who are your Mentors?
Fnan - My parents are my mentors; they taught me the importance of
education, patience, dignity and respect. These are now my values and how I
have chosen to conduct my life. They practised what they preached and
continue to offer me the advice I need as I go about my life.