[dehai-news] (shabait.com) Portraying Unrealistic Image through Exaggerated Expectations Is Not The Eritrean Government's Political Culture: President Isaias

From: Eri News (er_news@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 15:31:25 EDT

Portraying Unrealistic Image through Exaggerated Expectations Is Not The Eritrean Government’s Political Culture: President Isaias

Wednesday, 21 October 2009 12:23 |

In an interview he conducted with Reuters News Agency here today, President Isaias Afwerki underscored that it is not in the Eritrean government’s political culture to portray unrealistic image through exaggerated expectations. “Hence, we don’t want to give invented promises regarding gold and other mining ventures,” he elaborated. Asmara, 21 October 2009- In an interview he conducted with Reuters News Agency here today, President Isaias Afwerki underscored that it is not in the Eritrean government’s political culture to portray unrealistic image through exaggerated expectations. “Hence, we don’t want to give invented promises regarding gold and other mining ventures,” he elaborated.
In the interview focusing on diverse domestic, regional and international issues, the President pointed out that had the endowment of abundant natural resources and the income derived thereof been the crucial factor, the world would not have witnessed the prevailing dire poverty in the resource-rich African countries. He further stressed that the decisive factor is the effective and efficient utilization of available resources.
President Isaias went on to explain that resources could ensure human dignity only when channeled towards building a strong national economy and equitable distribution of resources anchored on social justice. Noting that a nation’s resources should serve as a driving force for hard work, bring about qualitative change in the living standard of citizens, and above all guarantee meaningful and just social order, he underscored that resources should be exploited in a judicious manner.
Replying to a question on the objective economic situation in Eritrea and the statistical data presented by certain quarters, President Isaias explained that there are parties keen on concocting statistical figures and coming up with bogus conclusions. In this connection, he emphasized that the information disseminated by such parties as regards the Eritrean economy, besides having ulterior motive, is based on wrong and distorted reports that do not reflect the objective truth and reality in the country.

Indicating that some nongovernmental organizations and agencies are engaged in thriving business through propagating drought and hunger, the President shed light on the fact that the aim of such bodies is to act as a state within a state, and thereby secure political interference as well as exploit and monopolize resources. He further elucidated that the primary objective of such organizations is to forge an alliance of theft and corruption and that the Eritrean people will not allow the creation of a mafia group that does business and thrives in their name.

On regional issues and specifically as regards Eritrea’s position pertaining to a strategic solution to the Somali issue, President Isaias underlined that such a strategic solution rests on one that is Somali-based and translated into action by the Somalis themselves. “Thus the solution of the problem should rest in the hands of the Somali people. Other strategies, including that of Eritrea, should only be supplementary and supportive,” he underscored.

The President went on to emphasize that, it is but unholy to impose so-called peacekeeping forces and warlords as a replacement for the party directly concerned and that the ultimate goal should focus on the Somali people and the sovereignty of their country. “The main reason behind the repeated anti-Eritrea campaign and conspiracies in relation with the Somali issue, is solely because the people and Government of Eritrea are not ready to be party to the hidden agenda aimed at destabilizing and disruption the entire Horn region,” he asserted.

Replying to a question regarding the policies pursued by the Obama Administration and the changes witnessed so far, President Isaias explained Eritrean political tradition is characterized by looking at issues with patience and not indulge in hasty judgment. “We place great importance on time and history. It is impossible and at the same time not improper to make judgments about the strategic accomplishments of an Administration that has been in office for only nine months. Patience remains our guiding principle,” he elaborated.
Pointing out that the notion of ‘democracy’ propagated by some countries is merely a cliché deigned to serve the interests of a handful parties, the President reminded that ‘democracy’ has today been confined to a mere instrument at the hand of special interest groups that seek to sabotage the efforts of those striving to achieve the transformation of societies. In the event that such a scheme fails to bring about the desired outcome, these same interest groups resort to maneuvers with a view to having such notion of ‘democracy’ emulated and adopted by others through hegemony.

“As Eritrea finds itself in the process social transformation, we are not at all inclined to conform to this type of thinking and practice that plunge an entire nation and people into a messy trap. We have our own priorities and sovereign options. Our political satisfaction lies in creating conducive environment that serves the interests of the majority of the population and ensures their participation as well as guarantee social justice. Above all, we are not at all prepared to compromise our independent choice of decision for the realization of which we paid heavy sacrifice,” the President underscored.

Replying to a question pertaining to the numerous conspiracies to impose sanctions against Eritrea, President Isaias declared: “Our reply is direct and precise. Why sanction? By whom? If those parties calling for sanction at all posses any proof, we openly and unequivocally ask them to let the world know about the whole affair. Otherwise, if these ploys are driven by other motives, they stand to be discredited and dismissed outright.”

As regards the ruling of the Eritrea-Ethiopia Claims Commission adopted on 17 August, 2009 on the basis of Article 5 of the Algiers Agreement and Eritrea’s stance, the President said: “It is not an issue of money, it is about
law and its supremacy. In line with the Eritrean government’s tradition of abiding by the law and agreements concluded as well as the final and binding nature of the ruling, it accepts the decision.”

As regards so-called free press, President Isaias stated that Eritrea will not tolerate any ploy, be it in the name of ‘free press’ or any other guise, directed against Eritrean national interest, unity and security.

In his reply to reports alleging an ‘assassination attempt’ on his life, President Isaias dismissed the whole thing as a nonsensical farce. “It should not come as a surprise if bankrupt elements indulge in such fantasies. As far as I am concerned, I live with and among my people,” he asserted.