[dehai-news] Walesonline.co.uk: Drought-hit East Africa cries out for aid before it's too late

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 06:40:42 EDT

Drought-hit East Africa cries out for aid before it’s too late

 <http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/10/19/> Oct 19 2009 by
Our Correspondent, Western Mail

Alun Mcdonald, from Cardiff, works for Oxfam in East Africa and is based in
Sudan. Here, he explains the current crisis and says that although the
situation is serious, there is still time to avert disaster

Oxfam recently launched an appeal for the more than 23 million people who
are currently being pushed toward hunger and destitution across East Africa.

A severe and persistent five-year drought, deepened by climate change, is
now stretching across seven countries in the region and exacting a heavy
human toll, made worse by high food prices and violent conflict.

The worst affected countries are Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia and Uganda. Other
countries hit are Sudan, Djibouti and Tanzania.

In Kenya, 3.8 million people, more than the whole of the population of
Wales, are in need of emergency aid.

Poor rains and parched land mean people have next to nothing.

In some places people are living on less than two litres of water a day, the
equivalent of one toilet flush.

People are leaving their homes and possessions behind in the search for
water.

When Oxfam visited one water station in Wajir they met people who were
desperate for water.

“One family walked for four days to get here,” said Rashid Aran Omer, who
camped over night at a water station to wait for the delivery. “This is our
only source of water now.”

“We have not had any rains at all this year, and our cattle are getting
weaker.

”Not many have died yet… but it is only a matter of time. Our animals are
how we make our living – without them we do not have enough money to buy
food for our children,” continued Rashid.

With little water or pasture, livestock are so thin and unhealthy they would
fetch a pittance at market.

People have been trekking 70km, crossing borders to find water and pasture
for their cattle.

With people competing for fewer resources tensions are rising, with reports
of violent clashes between herders over pasture and water for their
livestock. Sixty-five people have been killed in Turkana, Northern Kenya,
since June.

The drought is also denying children an education as they need to spend more
and more time searching for water.

“Our children cannot go to school because they have to spend all day looking
for water for the cattle. We desperately need another borehole and more
water here,” said Omar Haji, a herder in Kenya.

Drought has also forced up food prices, with many way above the five-year
average.

In parts of Kenya, maize and beans are up to180% higher than normal.

This has meant many people selling what little they have, including
livestock, which is a main source of income.

However, this does little more than provide short-term relief, exacerbates
long-term problems and makes it much harder for people to recover.

Malnutrition is already above emergency levels. One in six children are
acutely malnourished in Somalia.

People are praying for the rains to come, but even with rain, the situation
would still be life threatening for many.

There are genuine fears that the region could be hit by floods as a result
of the El Niño phenomenon, which could destroy crops and houses, and
increase the spread of water-borne diseases. Even with normal rain, the
harvest will not arrive until early 2010. People will still need aid to get
them through a long hunger season.

Oxfam is helping many in need, in some places trucking in water.

Oxfam staff are on the ground helping those at risk but the organisation is
appealing for help from the UK public to help scale up its efforts.

The agency is expanding its aid effort to reach more than 750,000 people but
is in desperate need for funds to do this work. Oxfam is supplying emergency
clean water and access to food, and also carrying out long-term projects to
strengthen people’s ability to cope with future shocks.

Oxfam needs £9.5m for affected communities in East Africa, but even a small
amount can make a huge difference. One pound – the price of a lottery ticket
– can feed an entire family for one day. People can donate in shops or
donate online at www.oxfam.org.uk