[dehai-news] (MOI) Eritrean Information Ministry Editorial (14 Oct 2009)

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 17:05:03 EDT

State of Eritrea - Ministry of Information

Exploits In Sports That Manifested The Potential of Our Youth

Wednesday, 14 October 2009 09:23 |

Comparatively speaking, it has been a while since modern sports were
introduced in Eritrea in contrast with our region and continent. The
intro-duction of sports, which traces its roots to the times of Italian
colonization, has allowed Eritreans to be active in different sports. In
its introduction, not only did it not take time for the youth to
actively participate in different physical activities, but also the era
saw the blossoming of different clubs, federations as well as different
sport associations.

However, sports did not continue to develop in Eritrea due to multiple
reasons, one being the Eritrean people have been all heartedly engaged
in the struggle for independence and due to colonialism and the
atmosphere of war. Hence, colonization and recurring instances of war
failed to provide Eritreans with conducive environment to engage in full
fl edged sports activities. And as a result, sports activities have been
al-most inactive for almost a quarter of a century.

Right after Eritrea became a sovereign country in 1991 through long and
bitter struggle, the Government of Eritrea formed a governmental
commission whose sole concern is overseeing the development of sports
activities and in a short period of time different sports federations
and clubs were formed that quickly blossomed sports activities in the
country. The youth were once again engaging in sports full heartedly.
Today, we see Eritreans achieve colorful victories in different sports
and especially in the track and field. Although it is obvious that
there's yet a lot to accomplish for Eritrea in the field of sports, the
past and present triumphs of Eritreans stand wit-ness that Eritreans
have a bright prospect for the future. Sports activities, besides their
input in developing the mental and physical condition of the youth is
also one part of the culture that strengthens and creates warm communal
life, common spirit and nationalism through generating the spirit of
competitiveness and spiritual satisfaction.

And hence, it would not be an understatement to state that sports can
have a considerable contribution in a time our country Eritrea is
engaged in cultural development so as to bring forth the best of its
culture and legacies. The Government of Eritrea is hence, in line of its
work in ensuring food security and eradicating poverty, has been paying
a considerable attention to developing sports as well. Investment
towards sports will increase along side the economic development we are
registering. It is, hence, easy to speculate that the colorful results
our sportsmen are registering so far with the very limited investment
with time and economic development Eritrea will become one of the
renowned countries in the world in the field of sports.

http://www.shabait3.com/section-blog/40-editorial/218-exploits-in-sports
-that-manifested-the-potential-of-our-youth-

  <http://www.shabait3.com/images/stories/editorial.jpg>

editorial.jpg