[dehai-news] (PA) Zersenay Tadese plans step up to marathons

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 15:19:27 EDT

The Press Association

Tadese plans step up to marathons

(UKPA) - 4 hours ago

Zersenay Tadese, who dropped out of this year's London Marathon, still
intends moving up to the distance.

Tadese is a world-class performer on the track, where his latest
achievement was a world 10,000metres silver medal in August, and is also
a former world cross-country champion. But after the Eritrean aborted
his marathon debut in London in April questions were asked as to whether
he could follow in the footsteps of other track stars such as Haile
Gebrselassie and Paul Tergat.

"I will still run on the track and in road races but for the future I am
going to run the marathon," insisted Tadese, who will chase a fourth
successive world half-marathon title in Birmingham on Sunday.

Reflecting on his London setback, he said: "For the London Marathon I
had problems when one week before I was sick."

Tadese, who ran the fastest ever half-marathon time of 59 minutes five
seconds in the United Kingdom on the Great North Run course four years
ago, added: "Sunday is important, the half-marathon is a way forward.

"I have won for the last three years. After Berlin I started preparing
for this race because it is important for me, and on Sunday I will try
to win again."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gb1L2O032jmudiQnn
LydsBzSa8mg