[dehai-news] CBC.ca: Ethiopia revisited- A country you can never stop worrying about

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 05:30:45 EDT

Ethiopia revisited- A country you can never stop worrying about

Brian Stewart

Last Updated: Sat, October 10, 2009 | 11:06 AM ET
<http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/10/09/f-vp-stewart.html#socialcomments>
Comments6 <http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/10/09/f-vp-stewart.html>
Recommend8

By Brian Stewart, special to <http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html> CBC News

Ethiopia is one country that I can never stop worrying about. Nor can the
world.

Each time that I have gone back over the past 25 years I am encouraged to
see so much has changed since the great famine of 1984-85 that shocked the
world and so moved us Canadians. Yet there is also much here that is
alarmingly similar.

This time old friends — survivors of that earlier tragedy — are proud to
show me the signs of progress in the northern province of Tigray, the very
epicentre of a famine that killed over a million people.

In the countryside, small catchment dams have been built to trap rainwater
and reforestation projects are underway; in the small provincial capital of
Mekele, they can now show off a modern university, busy markets and a
vibrant youth culture.

Still, for all these encouraging signs I know there remain two constants
here.

First, Ethiopia cannot yet feed itself without help from the rest of the
world; and second, the unpredictability of this help means the threat of
severe food crisis, even famine, is never far away.

Droughts more common

Most of the population survives, barely, on rain-fed agriculture that is
increasingly battered by changing global weather patterns.

Droughts used to occur once a decade, but now there are up to three in the
same time span.

However much you hope that places like Tigray province can escape the dark
shadow of '84-85, you know that every few years the rains fail, or come too
late, or fall too heavily all at once.

Ethiopia is a place where the word "crisis" is not exaggerated. This year
the threat is very severe; in some areas harvests have fallen by 70 per
cent.

Already you can see long lines of truck bearing food relief for millions
rumble down the main highway, the same weary lifeline I watched roll past in
all my prior visits over more than two decades.

Without these supplies literally millions would starve before our eyes.

Population doubled

The figures involved are stunning. Consider that in the next few months
Ethiopia will endure the worst effects of the most punishing drought it has
undergone in perhaps 15 years.

That means the worst of the food crisis is still to come even as seven
million are already surviving on food aid that they receive for working on
dams and other public projects. That is almost as many as the world and the
Ethiopian government had to feed at the height of the '84 famine!

A quarter of a century ago, Ethiopia had only 36 million people. Now the
population has more than doubled to around 78 million. More people means
more families in dire need.

If that's not enough reason for concern, consider also that international
aid agencies are already cutting back the rations they give out because they
believe much worse is to come and they are terrified of letting food stocks
fall too low.

One other overarching fear is the unpredictable El Nino effect in the
Pacific, which unhinges weather worldwide and, throughout East Africa, has a
tendency to bring on torrential rains that can wipe out what's left of weak
harvests and livestock.

No shock absorbers

In northern Ethiopia, there are no "shock absorbers" for such calamities.

The majority of the population subsists on small farms and would lose what
very little they possess. If the situation continues to worsen this could
well force another six or seven million onto food relief.

There are, of course, worst-case scenarios that would see up to 13 million
people needing food relief in the coming months — a shocking almost 17 per
cent of Ethiopia's population.

This is where my head begins to hurt. For this may be the largest call on
food aid Ethiopia has ever had to make and yet no one in authority can
figure out, so far as I've been able to learn, when or how enough help will
arrive in time.

So far, the response of donor nations to UN calls for help are running at
barely half normal requirements.

In the capital Addis Ababa, officials of the UN's World Food Program are
profoundly worried.

They do not, I want to note, predict we are facing something as severe as
the '84 famine, when a whole litany of disasters — war, government abuse,
inadequate relief infrastructure, poor communication — overwhelmed everyone
involved.

Relief today is far better organized and logistic have improved. But the
reality is grim enough to shatter the lives and health of millions of people
and to severely set back Ethiopia's attempts to get itself on a stronger
footing.

Distracted

At this point, too many factors are working against the aid effort to give
much comfort.

The outside world is still distracted by economic uncertainty and the
attitude of rich nations seems to be "Let's wait and see how really bad it
gets before we decide on our contributions."

Waiting, however, carries enormous risks because rising commodity prices in
recent years makes it difficult to acquire enough affordable emergency
grains and the like.

It is a sad fact, but the graver the food crisis, the higher prices will
soar. Mass hunger always increases market speculation.

Then there's Ethiopia's traditional problem of supply.

Though logistics are not as bad as in 1984, East African ports (Ethiopia
itself has no direct sea access) still quickly become congested. In
addition, many roads are extremely poor and the supply of trucks is rarely
enough to carry all the millions of bags of food needed.

In private, aid officials also speak of another concern — that Ethiopia's
own government may itself try to play down the emergency because, well, next
year there's a national election to be held and governments here are
traditionally very reluctant to admit to harvest disasters in the
countryside.

Almost blasé

The Ethiopian government has said it doesn't expect this year to be much
worse than last, and it is "confident it has done everything it can to feed
its hungry people."

This almost blasé attitude in Addis, gives no comfort at all to aid
officials who tend to agree with an Economist magazine's characterization of
Ethiopia's government as well-meaning but "one of the most economically
illiterate in the modern world."

President Meles Zenawi is unlikely to be reckless enough to downplay a real
emergency, but there is always concern that regional officials might dismiss
rising malnutrition figures to protect their own political hides.

>From what I have seen, Ethiopians hate their nation's image as a perpetual
victim of disasters. And donor nations have clearly grown weary of annual
calls for aid.

One can sympathize with both views. But such sentiments cannot be allowed to
obscure facts.

Yes, development efforts on the ground are indeed starting to yield progress
(and I intend to write about these another time).

But Ethiopia, the 12th poorest nation on Earth, will simply not be able to
fully feed itself for many years, likely a generation at least.

The abject poverty of land and population are simply too stark, too
intractable to offer a quick end to this recurring nightmare, no matter what
economic or market reforms are tried.

Back when I was covering the famine in 1984, I never imagined — or perhaps
let myself fear — that Ethiopia would be such a difficult problem for the
world to fix.

I underestimated what a grinding, unrelenting effort would be needed to
confront its timeless poverty. This time back, I fear we underestimate it
still.

A boy eats raw chickpeas from the family plot in Ethiopia's drought-stricken
Oromiya region in January 2009. (Ho New/Reuters)A boy eats raw chickpeas
from the family plot in Ethiopia's drought-stricken Oromiya region in
January 2009. (Ho New/Reuters)

image001.jpg