[dehai-news] A nation mourns a beloved son and humanity has lost a great leader

From: Sophia Tesfamariam (sophia_tesfamariam@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 10:44:50 EDT

The untimely death of Kubur Tegadalay Saleh Meky, Eritrea’s Minister for Integrated Coastal Development and Marine Resources on 2 October 2009 is a painful loss to his beloved family, his friends and colleagues all over the world, and the Government and people of Eritrea. “Hurricane Meky”, as he was affectionately known to his friends, was a charismatic gentleman whose presence was not easily ignored. As a student in the United States in the early 70s and throughout the struggle for Eritrea’s independence, Saleh worked to bring the plight of Eritreans to the halls of government, academia and more. In 1991, when Eritrea became independent, Saleh packed his bags and moved to Eritrea to rebuild his beloved country and heal her wounds.

Saleh’s love for his country and people took him to places, far and near, as he crisscrossed the world’s oceans, in his quest to build Eritrea’s health sector and introduce his new nation to the world. It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that I write today to add my personal remembrance of an unforgettable statesman, a consummate politician, and a dedicated public servant. Always in a hurry, as if he was racing with time, he worked to develop Eritrea’s health sector. He helped expand Eritrea’s health infrastructure. The many clinics and hospitals that have been built around the country, the medical school in the capital city of Asmara, and the recently opened post-graduate school there, will remain as living monuments to Saleh and his dreams for his beloved country.

Saleh will be remembered for his hearty laugh (almost a roar) and his jovial nature, his intellectual honesty, his incredible courage and most of all for his hard work. To challenge and inspire Eritrea’s youth in the Diaspora, in early September 2009, a few weeks before his untimely death, Saleh spent 4 days at a Young-PFDJ Conference in Washington, DC with over 600 young Eritreans, listening to their concerns and sharing in their thoughts. In August 2009, Saleh was the guest of honor at the 35th Annual Eritrean Festival in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC and thousands came and listened as he discussed Eritrea’s economic, social and political development. Over the years, Saleh has touched and inspired many, Eritreans and non-Eritreans, to service.

Saleh talked a lot about social justice and he encouraged all to join in the fight for it. He also wanted us to stay healthy and well informed. In his letters he wrote:

“…There is no better time than a struggle for justice in this unjust world…Remember only healthy bodies and clear minds meet the challenge we face in our political life in these difficult but exciting days…One hardly fights an idea which he is ignorant off…”

As for Eritrea’s future, Saleh was absolutely confident in her success. He said:

“…Our star seems to be rising. It ought to, for we are fighting a just cause…”

On one of my trips to Eritrea, he took time out of his busy schedule to give me a personal tour of his “Kingdom”. At Orotta Hospital, we spent hours visiting everything from the pediatric heart center, maternal health units, physical therapy to the ambulatory services, libraries, operating rooms and so much more, all equipped with the latest and best equipments. Saleh was determined to provide easily accessible healthcare for all Eritreans, but his focus was on the children of Eritrea. He told me that the young were Eritrea’s future and providing for, and protecting the health and well being of Eritrea’s young, was a sure way of securing Eritrea’s future. In TseTserat, he drove past a construction site and pulled into a parking lot. There sat another new hospital, the men were still at work putting the finishing touches.

We went through the hallways and into the reception area, the triages, lab, radiology, the hospital cafeteria and more. He stopped to chat with practically everyone we ran into. He joked and laughed with them and took time out to listen to their concerns. Saleh was proud of the work being done in the health sector and I was too, it was quite impressive. Ditto for Sembel hospital, where we walked through the corridors as he showed me the various departments there. But it was the Medical School and the Post-Graduate School that he was most proud of. We visited classrooms, libraries and dormitories. Saleh wanted the students to have the best of everything. From state of the art equipment in the auditoriums and lecture halls to recreational places close to their boarding quarters. He wanted to build them a gym and other recreational venues for them…and so much more.

Under his watch, Eritrea made great strides in eradicating malaria, polio, TB, reducing infant mortality, improving maternal health, reducing incidents of HIV-Aids, increasing the life expectancy of Eritreans and more. Saleh also worked hard to bring diabetes, heart disease, and cancer treatment to Eritrea. The first batch of Eritrean doctors will be graduating from the Medical School in Asmara at the end of 2009, and he was so proud of that, his eyes twinkled when he spoke of them. I wish he was here to witness his dream, but I know he will be up there, watching over them and beaming with pride.

Saleh was great company and fun to have around. He made me laugh…a lot. When he wasn’t bragging about, and showing off, his “Kingdom”, we would take long walks on Asmara’s independence avenue, drive down to Dorfo and watch the beautiful mountains where we shared our thoughts. One day he took me to a special place for him, where he spent his childhood. He showed off his home village just a few miles away, imagine a “golf course down there” he dreamt out loud, and when I complained about walking all the way down there he joked, “next time you come, we’ll have a spa and a massage parlor to ease the pain”…and for the finer things in life, we sat on the roadside eating beles at seidici (16 kilometers out of Asmara), surrounded by children.

I will miss his guidance and his friendship and I suspect many of you also feel this loss. In one of his emails he told me to take time out and relax, something he never did for himself, he suggested reading books by Susan Sontag, a gifted literary critic. Saleh said that her death was one of the most painful events in his life. Saleh wrote:

“…Through her books she entertained me, taught me and kept me company in good and bad times. Do read her - I hope you get similar experience of joy as I did ...”

Well dear friend, this is one of the most painful events in my life…I will keep reading her until the pain goes away…Saleh hawey, for me and all those who have been privileged to share in your friendship…life will never be the same again…truly “nisika zeibilu, kem kokeb zibilu semay”…

Rest in peace dear friend and may your family and friends find comfort, as I will, in the many happy memories you have left behind.

Zelealemawi z’kri nisemaetatna

Awet Nihafash.

Sophia Tesfamariam