[dehai-news] Shabait.com: "We always should stride for something new"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 21:14:51 +0100

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11986-we-always-should-stride-for-som
ething-new> "We always should stride for something new"

Monday, 24 December 2012 01:10 | Written by Billion Temesghen |
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11986-we-always-should-stride-for-som
ething-new?format=pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11986-we-always-should-stride-for-som
ething-new?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy
5zaGFiYWl0LmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlcy9xLWEtYS8xMTk4Ni13ZS1hbHdheXMtc2hvdWxkLXN0cmlkZS
1mb3Itc29tZXRoaW5nLW5ldw%3D%3D> E-mail

dec-24-article-qa1 Nigisti
Nigisti Gebre-Meskel born in 1962 in Dekemhare, is one of the women that lives with handicraft. her whole life is based on the invention and creation of countless types of handiworks, and that's what makes her an artist.

Q:-How and when did you start working on handicrafts?

I can't tell a specific time or moment. It's part of the Eritrean culture and tradition, all of nine ethnic groups have that in common. Think about it, it's quite impossible to see a family in which a grandmother, a mother or sister that are not involved in making handicrafts. So, in general, all I can say is that maybe I got it from my mother, just like she did from hers.

Q:-But one has to love the activity in order to do it. Does that mean you liked it ever since you were young?

That's true. In my case though, I can definitely dare to say that I had extra interest in the beauty of handiworks. In addition my family supported my tendencies in this aspect of art, so I remember how my older brother bought me my very first needle and he thought me so many thing that I still relay on till this very moment.

Q:-Do you remember your first work?

Yeah, I do. I made some decoration for the traditional coffee setting. I remember how I used old sweaters but it turned out to be so beautiful!!! My mom loved it and she was proud of me, she totally saw a very gifted and brilliant artist in me. That is why I was encouraged to work harder in improving my talents.
Q:--You later on joined the armed struggle for Eritrean liberation, didn't you?

Yes I did. When I was very little actually. but I guess it was normal back then. I remember how in 1978 there were a lot of and countless affectionate young people with the passion and love for our country that were flocking to join the liberation army. The movement in Asmara and the main cities of Eritrea were so strong that everybody was cooperating in so many ways. Especially when Dekemhare was liberated all we could talk and think about was the EPLF army. They were young, fighting with their hearts and putting their lives on line with pleasure. this gave me a very "romantic" idea of the "tegadelti", so I joined.

Q:-What happened after you joined the mythical army?

(Laugh) You have no idea how passionate I was about the tegadelti. just like every youth out there. Any ways, I was too young so they sent me to "Betimirti Sewura" (the revolution school), the school in which next to the tutorial learning I learned many moral values and I expanded my artistic knowledge. After completion my education there I started working as a teacher in the same school in which I was nourished with a lot of knowledge.

Q:-Then in 1992 the war was over. what happened afterwards?

Till 2002 I was accordingly busy with the governmental work I had so I slightly slowed down my artistic activities. But after I got discharged I was back to business and I started off with the making of traditional clothing. Then bit by bit I introduced to my collection some ornaments, all made by hand and then I started working with house decorations, bedside lamps, frames and so many things.

Q:-Have you achieved all of your dreams yet?

Definitely not. Art is an amazingly wide science, I personally think that one can never say that he or she owns all the knowledge that an artist should acquire, what I have accomplished so far is quite a lot nut, is not all of it, so I think I have an even longer way to go. It's in the nature of Art.

Q:-Your works are very famous among the folk, how did you achieve such approval?

I organize a lot of exhibitions and I am always working hard on coming up with something new that still keeps the traditional vibe. People really like to keep our traditional ambiances in their styles.http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/dec-24-article-qa2.j
pg

Q:-What is "handicraft" to you?

My everything. The air that breath. That the only thing I've known throughout all of my life, I wouldn't know how to put it in words. am sorry.

Q:-Ok, one last question. do you have any encouraging words to the new
artists?

I've seen many talented ones. am truly happy for them. Not everyone gets to appreciate the beauty of arts. I know they're good.
-Thanks for your time!

Last Updated (Monday, 24 December 2012 01:19)

 <http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11904-i-grew-up-surrounded-by-arts->
"I grew up surrounded by arts"

Friday, 14 December 2012 06:09 | Written by Billion Temesghen |
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11904-i-grew-up-surrounded-by-arts-?f
ormat=pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11904-i-grew-up-surrounded-by-arts-?t
mpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy
5zaGFiYWl0LmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlcy9xLWEtYS8xMTkwNC1pLWdyZXctdXAtc3Vycm91bmRlZC1ieS
1hcnRzLQ%3D%3D> E-mail

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/dec-14-article-qa2.jpgartis
t Nigisti Zeweldi

Born in the late 80s, Nigisti Zeweldi, is an artist that loves arts wildly.
She is better known by her nickname "Titty" and she is a mother of two. We
invited her to tell us more about the sublime love she has towards arts.

Q:-Thanks for being here. So you are an artist.

Yes I am. I am a painter. I am so in to realistic, abstract and modern arts.
I usually paint when I get an instant idea so I sometimes get to be a
realist painter, in fact we had a contest in 2010 at the American Embassy
and as one of the winners I went to Horn of Africa where I presented a big
(20m x 20m) and very realistic yet modern paint titled "the abuse of
Africa", and sometimes I get immersed in the abstract world of arts.

Q:-Have you ever had any exhibitions?

Yeah, a lot of times. Three times in "Mirara Art School", I even
participated in the Sawa Festivals, every and each of them ever since it
started and in so many other occasions, in few words I use every chance that
comes on the way.

Q:-You're also a designer, right?

True. I designed the stage for the "Shingruwa Singing Contest" and I have
been active in the designing of interiors and exteriors for different
hotels, restaurants and
bars.http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/dec-14-article-qa.jpg

Q:-Seems like you do quite everything. anything else?

Well, I am also a teacher, I give painting courses.

Q:-Who helped you in developing your talents?

At school, that's where I learned everything. I think that "May Tesfa"
school was a stepping stone of my life. It was since then that I had a clear
picture of my future; I knew that I was going to live with art.

Q:-Isn't having a lot of jobs a bit stressing? Many people would think that
being that multifunctional could lead one to failure, as it will be too much
to handle all in one and at once.

I totally disagree. Because it's truly a blessing to be good in so many
things. You just have to own the right administration. One got to know how
to handle and manage a very constant approach to the jobs. In point of fact,
it could actually be fun to have flexibility in between professions.

Q:-Should we talk about your childhood? Do you remember baby Titty?

I totally do!!! I grew up surrounded by art. I was breathing arts; my heart
would beat for it. Honestly, I wouldn't find a reason but it was all that
could think of when I was a kid. I loved drawing animals. I always have a
big smile and a blushy face if I go back to the remembrance of me as a
child.

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/dec-14-article-qa1.jpg
Q:-What can you see in the future Titty?

My dream and my life time desire is to open up an "Art Institute" in which
my students could appreciate the same and even more beauty of art that I
had. It will definitely be a school that will give chances to those who
think that they cannot afford such a thing.

Q:-That's amazing. It's a good dream right there.

I'll make it happen.

-I hope so too. Good luck with everything and thanks again for your time.

Last Updated (Friday, 14 December 2012 07:14)

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.png
(image/png attachment: image002.png)