[dehai-news] Innercitypress.com: As UN Says S. Sudan Army Shoot-down an Accident, Complaint against SRSG

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:59:10 +0100

As UN Says S. Sudan Army Shoot-down an Accident, Complaint against SRSG

By Matthew Russell Lee

UNITED NATIONS, December 23, 2012 -- After the South Sudan army said it had
shot down a UN helicopter, killing the crew of four Russians, the UN
Security Council Friday after 5 pm issued a press statement calling it an
accident.

  Inner City Press asked December's Security Council president, Moroccan
Ambassador Loulichki, how it could be called an accident so quickly. Video
here
<http://webtv.un.org/watch/sc-president-mohammed-loulichki-morocco-on-south-
sudan-security-council-media-stakeout-21-december-2012/2050298869001/> ,
from Minute 1:48.

   Several other diplomats noted to Inner City Press that if the shoot-down
had been in Sudan, probably the US would have called consultations, and more
strongly condemned the act, not accepting it as an accident.

  Loulichki said that statement was agreed by e-mails, without
consultations. He disputed what has been the South Sudan army's explanation,
that they asked the UNMISS mission if it had a plane in that part on Jonglei
and was not told yes.

  A well placed sources in the UNMISS mission notes to Inner City Press that
"the SRSG of UNMISS," Hilde Johnson, "has failed on every occasion to defend
the staff of UNMISS against the excesses of the Government of South Sudan."

  The source gave three examples: "the assault against the chief of human
rights of UNMISS who was then quietly removed; the human rights officer
(Sandra Beidas of the UK) Persona Non Grata-ed for investigating abuses by
the SPLA; and several incidents of helicopters being shot at last year."

  Much of this is public. But more than a week ago, Inner City Press asked
the three top spokespeople of Secretary General Ban Ki-moon a series of
questions, including about UNMISS: a complaint the SSLA rebels sent to
several UN officials, and other parties.

Because of the content of the e-mail, Inner City Press sent it to the UN for
denial or confirmation and explanation, and waited a week. Perhaps it would
have waited longer, if not for the SPLA shoot down and the reaction. This is
a slightly modified version of the complaint Inner City Press asked the UN
about on the afternoon of December 14, more than a week ago:

What is the UN's, UNMISS' and Ms. Johnson's response to the complaint of the
SSLA, below? Date: 12/09/2012 07:27 PM

The SSLA is deeply disturbed to learn from the sources within the UNMISS
that UN Secretary General Representative, Hilde Johnson, is dating a South
Sudanese. The sources who are in the top UNMISS leadership confirmed it that
Hilde has a South Sudanese boyfriend.

The SSLA is concerned about the neutrality of Hilde since it is now clear
that she is dating a South Sudanese who is a member of SPLM government. We
request the UN in New York to investigate this because it is very unethical
for UNMISS since her decisions will be biased towards the government.

SSLA Information Desk, Mayom, South

 The problem here is the perception that Johnson and UNMISS are too close to
the South Sudanese government. The strange characterization of the shoot
down and killing of the crew of four as an accident only plays into that.
The failure to answer the above question, in any way, for a week does not
help. Watch this site.

Footnote: There were three other questions asked on December 14 that have
yet to be answered, which will be reported on, along with at least one
related after-arising matter. Why doesn't the UN answer questions?

   The four questions, including about the SRSG of UNMISS, were submitted on
December 14 less than two hours after Ban's lead spokesman refused to answer
<http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2012/db121214.doc.htm> Inner City
Press' question, on behalf of the Free UN Coalition for Access, about the
United Nations Correspondents Association violating its Constitution.

   Nesirky, despite the UN's partnership, refused to answer on this, saying,
"I don't think that you could ever accuse me or my Office of not providing
you with access and providing you with answers... I will simply not be
involved in your difficulties, meaning between the United Nations
Correspondents Association and yourself or others."

We'll have more on this.