[dehai-news] Best Christmas Gift : Susan Rice withdraws from secretary of state consideration

From: Tsegai Emmanuel <emmanuelt40_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:31:03 -0600

Susan Rice withdraws from secretary of state consideration

By Rachel Rose Hartman and Olivier Knox

Susan Rice, the embattled U.S. ambassador to the U.N., withdrew her
name on Thursday from consideration to be secretary of state in the
face of angry Republican opposition.
"If nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would
be lengthy, disruptive and costly - to you and to our most pressing
national and international priorities," Rice wrote in a letter to
President Barack Obama. (NBC News first reported the news.)
Obama had not formally nominated her, but Rice was the favorite for
the post and spent time on Capitol Hill trying 'vainly' to placate her
Republican critics. The move leaves Democratic Sen. John Kerry, who
chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, as the likely
frontrunner.
In a statement, Kerry praised Rice as "an extraordinarily capable and
dedicated public servant" and underlined that "today's announcement
doesn't change any of that."
"As someone who has weathered my share of political attacks and
understands on a personal level just how difficult politics can be,
I've felt for her throughout these last difficult weeks, but I also
know that she will continue to serve with great passion and
distinction," Kerry said.
Obama confirmed her withdrawal in a statement Thursday afternoon,
saying: "While I deeply regret the unfair and misleading attacks on
Susan Rice in recent weeks, her decision demonstrates the strength of
her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics
of the moment to put our national interests first."
Talk of Rice being nominated to succeed current Secretary of State
Hillary Clinton stirred significant controversy due to Rice's role in
the handling of the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Consulate in
Benghazi, Libya. The assault claimed the lives of Ambassador Chris
Stevens and three other Americans.
Republicans accused Rice of misleading the public about intelligence
that indicated the attack was premeditated. (The Obama administration
has also been accused of ignoring requests for increased security at
the American compound.) The White House steadfastly denied
deliberately misleading the public.
Rice's withdrawal amounted to a painful post-election defeat for
Obama, who had staunchly defended Rice and even vowed to nominate her
over Republican objections if he conclude that she was the best person
for the job. It will be viewed as a win for Arizona Republican Sen.
John McCain and other Republican senators who had vowed to block
Rice's confirmation.
McCain spokesman Brian Rogers emailed Yahoo News to express that the
senator "thanks Ambassador Rice for her service to the country and
wishes her well. ... He will continue to seek all the facts about what
happened before, during and after the attack on our consulate in
Benghazi that killed four brave Americans."
Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, another leading Rice
detractor, declared in a statement on Thursday, "I respect Ambassador
Rice's decision." Graham said Obama "has many talented people to
choose from" to succeed Clinton.
Graham has accused the administration of stonewalling efforts to look
into the Benghazi attack and vowed to keep "working diligently to get
to the bottom of what happened."
If Obama picks Kerry, that could touch off a political war in
Massachusetts for his Senate seat. Republican Sen. Scott Brown,
defeated on Nov. 6 by Democrat Elizabeth Warren, could make a play for
that spot.
Obama is expected to overhaul much of his foreign policy and national
security teams for the coming term. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is
departing, the position of director of the CIA is open after the David
Petraeus scandal and Homeland Security Janet Napolitano is rumored to
be looking to replace Attorney General Eric Holder.