[dehai-news] Susan Rice withdraws from running for secretary of state

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:39:36 -0800 (PST)

Susan Rice withdraws from running for secretary of state LiveUN ambassador tells Obama 'I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly' http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/13/susan-rice-withdraws-secretary-of-state To many seasoned observers it looks like the president has just lost a high-profile fight with Republicans over a potential nominee he has very publicly defended, indeed is personally linked to. BuzzFeed's Ben Smith is reminded of the bloody Cabinet fights of Obama's first term, when he had to nominate three commerce secretaries, including Bill Richardson, before he got one through, and when former Sen. Tom Daschle failed as a health secretary nominee. Hagel thought to be front-runner for defense slot Rice's withdrawal isn't the only action in cabinet shuffling this afternoon. Earlier today Bloomberg News reported that former Sen. Chuck Hagel had the completed the vetting process to be the secretary of defense nominee. The report describes Hagel as "the leading candidate to become Obama’s next Secretary of Defense." Another senator, John Kerry, also had been mentioned as a potential defense pick, perhaps as a consolation prize were he to be denied the job he really wants, secretary of state, which was thought to be occupied by Susan Rice. Now Rice is out at state. And Hagel may be in at defense. Which for John Kerry could mean victory. Here's the Bloomberg report: Hagel, who served as an enlisted Army infantryman in Vietnam, has passed the vetting process at the White House Counsel’s office, said one of the people. The former Nebraska senator has told associates that he is awaiting final word from the president, said the other person. Both requested anonymity to discuss personnel matters. >Other contenders are Michele Flournoy, former defense undersecretary for policy, and Ashton Carter, deputy defense secretary, administration officials have said. >Obama invited Hagel to the White House on Dec. 4 to discuss the position with him, according to an administration official. The president hasn’t made a final decision, said another official. Both asked for anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. >White House Press Secretary Jay Carney today declined to comment on whether Obama is considering Hagel, saying only that the two-term former lawmaker was widely respected. >Ambassador Susan Rice's letter to President Obama >(h/t: _at_thematthewkeys and _at_katierogers) >9.16pm GMT