[dehai-news] Dvidshub.net: US Africa Command SEL discusses East Africa importance during Djibouti visit

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:55:55 +0100

US Africa Command SEL discusses East Africa importance during Djibouti visit

Story by <http://www.dvidshub.net/portfolio/1103681> Staff Sgt. Christopher
Ruano <http://www.dvidshub.net/rss/personnel/1103681> Small RSS Icon

 13.07.2012

U.S. Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Jack Johnson Jr., U.S. Africa Command
senior enlisted leader, shares his commitment to listen and build
relationships during an enlisted call at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, Dec. 7,
2012. Johnson spoke of Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa's mission
and America's role in strategy and security for Africa, reinforcing the
command's efforts to promote security and stability throughout the region.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Joseph McKee /RELEASED)

CAMP LEMONNIER, Djibouti - U.S. Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Jack Johnson
Jr., U.S. Africa Command senior enlisted leader, held an enlisted call at
Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti on Dec. 7, 2012, to discuss his views on leadership
and the importance of the mission in Africa.

Johnson spoke of Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa's mission and
America's role in strategy and security for Africa, reinforcing the
command's efforts to promote security and stability throughout the region.

The first topic was leadership. Johnson explained that everyone matters no
matter who they are or what service they are in.

"I consider everyone here a leader. It doesn't matter if you're a
subordinate or a senior person. you matter," said Johnson. "It warms my
heart to see this joint environment and appreciation for what we all bring.
[It's important] that we never forget that, because we can't do it all by
ourselves - not one service."

Johnson next focused on the importance of CJTF-HOA's mission.

"The world started looking at Africa and looking at the importance of what
we are doing," Johnson said, "But more and more now, America knows and
appreciates what's happening - the work that Americans and America are
doing."

Before the question-and-answer session, Johnson touched on one last subject.

"Africa is important to the security of our nation," Johnson said. "What
leads the way is the footprint we have here and what you do here in Camp
Lemonnier, Djibouti."

The enlisted call ended a week-long visit by the AFRICOM SEL, during which
he interacted with service members throughout CJTF-HOA's operating area.

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)