[dehai-news] Eritrea's Dominance of African Cycling. How about Swimming Next?

From: Bereket Kidane <welela83_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:32:45 -0800 (PST)

Eritrea's dominance and stranglehold of African cycling in recent years is so strong that other teams would be forgiven if they thought they knew who would win before the competition even starts. Indeed, it is usually Daniel Teklehaymanot or Natnael Berhane who claims the top spot in any international competition held in Africa. Sometimes, the competition for the top spot is between the two compatriots. Both have turned professional. There is no question that Eritrean riders are enjoying a great deal of success nowadays. But to what do they owe their success to? It's true that cycling has a long history in Eritrea, brought by the Italians first. But history by itself doesn't win championships. Training, discipline, hard work, stamina and teamwork do. It turns out the cycling team embodies many of the character traits that are attributed to the Eritrean people. Cycling is a grueling sport. The national cycling team has proven that Eritrean athletes can
 succeed in international competitions if they receive the proper training and equipment. There is no question in my mind that Eritrean riders would not attain the level of success they have without some investment in the sport from the government. So what sport should Team Eritrea set its target on for dominance next? I would like to see the Ministry of Sports invest in swimming as a sport to be dominated by Team Eritrea next. Massawinos have always been decent swimmers though I doubt many among them had any structured, formal training. Swimming is a worthwhile recreational sport to invest in. It will pay off in more ways than one. For starter, swimming is a good exercise. It is a lifetime sport that benefits the body and the whole person. (Full Disclosure: I am an avid swimmer). There is no shortage of open water and beaches in Eritrea. The government will have to train some lifeguards and build public swimming pools in towns and cities where kids
 can learn how to swim indoors and outdoors safely at a young age. In just a few years, we could see Ironman Triathlon (biking, swimming and running) competitions held in Eritrea. In the meantime, enjoy the public announcer saying, "Ladies and Gentleman: Please stand up for the national anthem of Eritrea" at the end of every cycling competition held in Africa as Eritrean riders go up to the podium to claim their medals. It will never get old.