[dehai-news] CNN: Police: 38 Kenyan officers killed in ambush involving cattle rustlers

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:54:51 +0100

Police: 38 Kenyan officers killed in ambush involving cattle rustlers

By David McKenzie and Lillian Leposo

November 13, 2012 -- Updated 1016 GMT (1816 HKT)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* The officers were trying to recover stolen cattle, a security
official says
* The Turkana and Samburu tribes have engaged in tit-for-tat cattle
rustling operations
* It's not unusual to see cattle herders armed with automatic rifles
* The security minster says the government is trying to reconcile the
two communities

Nairobi, Kenya (CNN) -- In the worst single incident for Kenyan police in
living memory, 38 officers were killed in northern Kenya over the weekend by
heavily armed cattle rustlers, according to injured police reservists who
were on the scene.

Local media reports put the number at between 37 and 42 dead. Internal
Security Minister Katoo Ole Metito would not give a total figure on how many
police officers had died.

 <http://cnn.com/2012/09/30/world/africa/africa-violence/index.html> Read
more: Attack on Sunday school leaves child dead, others wounded

The police officers were part of an operation to recover cattle belonging to
the Samburu tribe that had been stolen by the Turkana tribe, according to
the minister. They were ambushed in a valley when a large group of Turkana
fired on police, leaving dozens dead and many injured.

The Turkana and Samburu, both pastoralist groups, have frequently engaged in
tit-for-tat cattle rustling operations over many years. Villages in the
region are heavily fortified by residents, and it's not unusual to see
cattle herders armed with automatic rifles.

In the most recent incident, Turkana raided the Samburu last month and took
a large amount of cattle, according to the internal security ministry.

 <http://cnn.com/2012/09/29/world/africa/somalia-kismayo/index.html> Read
more: Kenya military reports success in Somali fight

The Kenyan government intervened and gave an ultimatum for the Turkana to
return the cattle last Friday, or it would respond with force. The Turkana
did not meet the deadline, prompting the police operation that ended in
tragedy.

Both Turkana and Samburu leaders have frequently asked for more security in
the region from the government. They say the police are outmanned and
outgunned.

While visiting wounded officers who had been airlifted to a Nairobi
hospital, the minister said the government is addressing those complaints.

 <http://cnn.com/2012/10/26/opinion/nairobi-postcard/index.html> Read more:
Is Barack Obama still Kenya's favorite son?

"The ratio of police to civilians in the country is far below the
international standards, but we are looking for more resources to bring
balance," he said, claiming the government is working to reconciling both
communities.

Some wounded police reservists recovering at the hospital weren't so sure.

"Reconciliation will only work if the Turkana are forcibly removed from
Samburu territory. That's the only solution," said Ledemiano Lenankani, a
Samburu reservist.

Lekirnyei Masianai, another reservist, agreed. "There is no room for
reconciliation. I'll not put down my weapon while my community is being
attacked."