[dehai-news] allafrica.com. Somalia: Al Shabab Ambushes Ethiopian Convoy Outside Baidoa

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 00:50:02 +0100

Somalia: Al Shabab Ambushes Ethiopian Convoy Outside Baidoa

Mogadishu - Heavy armed Al shabab fighters reportedly ambushed a military
convoy carrying Ethiopian forces outside Baidoa, Somalia's third largest
city, 250 Km northwest Mogadishu.

Local residents said Shells and gunfire heard around Awdinle, a small town
just 15Km east of Baidoa following the ambush attack on Eithopian forces on
Monday, causing indefinite casualties on both sides.

"I saw an Ethiopian military vehicle burning and dead bodies lying nearby a
roadside explosion site at Awdinle area, after the fighting stopped," said
one resident.

In the aftermath of the attack, Mahad Abdirahman Aden, said Ethiopian troops
fired rounds of mortars indiscriminately on a residential area, killing
dozens of innocent civilians in Awdinle.

Ambushes and roadside bombs are the remnants of an Islamist movement that
was ousted by the government and its Ethiopian allies in February at the
start of this year.