[dehai-news] YPFDJ-NA 8th Annual Conference: A Great Conference All-Around

From: YPFDJ Media <ypfdjmedia_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:24:38 -0500

The following is a reflection on the 8th Annual YPFDJ Conference in
Ontario. For more reflections, visit ypfdjconference.wordpress.com

This year's North America YPFDJ conference held in Toronto was memorable
for Chicago chapter members in many ways. First of all, it was the first
time we had to cross a country's border to attend the national conference.
 The drive from Chicago to Toronto with a beautiful scenery was a great
experience but some of us also faced various challenges and obstacles as
well. However we were all determined to make it and nothing was going to
stop us from attending this unforgettable, once-a-year YPFDJ conference.

The contents of this year's conference were mentally stimulating. From the
small group discussions to the brilliant people who gave presentations and
everything in between. The small group discussions included Youth Mekhete,
debating what the priorities should be for a hypothetical country that is
in an identical situation to Eritrea, the six visions of Eritrean people
from the national charter, and much more.

The presentations were given by the following people: Mr. Zemhret Yohannes,
head of the Eritrean Research and Documentation Centre, about human history
on political development evolution. Dr. Ghidewon Abay-Asmerom gave an
evidence-based presentation about Eritrean people's hard work and honesty
from history and current events. Mr. Elias Amare's presentation was on the
power the pen/media from the perspective of African people struggle for
independence which continues to this day. Ms. Sophia Tesfamariam talked
about how some countries use human rights calls to exploit and dominate
other countries. These topics and the way they were presented left us
wanting for more. They gave us the motivation to research and learn more
about the world we live in.

And then there is the socializing that takes place in these conferences. We
get to meet new people every year who have the same interest as us,
Eritreans/Eritrea. And with those we have met at previous conferences, we
get to know each other on a deeper level. The Bahlawi Mishet (Cultural
night) help us connect with our identity, which is second to none. We all
know that anytime this many Eritreans gather in one place, the cultural
night is going to be one of a kind, especially when Tesfalem Arefayne aka
Qorchach and Habteselassie Abraha aka Ainomai accompanied by Walta band all
the way from Eritrea are performing live. My only wish is that we have
these conferences twice a year. I know it is not possible but you can't
blame me for wishing.

Fitsum Tesfamicael - YPFDJ-Chicago

<http://ypfdjconference.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_4952.jpg><http://ypfdjconference.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_6171.jpg><http://ypfdjconference.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_6752.jpg>

--