[dehai-news] BBC: Large numbers of hyenas and humans coexist, study finds

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 00:39:47 +0200

Large numbers of hyenas and humans coexist, study finds

By Jeremy Coles Reporter, BBC Nature

25 October 2012 Last updated at 01:24

Large hyena populations are living alongside human communities in Africa
without coming into conflict, a recent study has found.

An international team of scientists surveyed the population size and diet of
spotted hyenas in northern Ethiopia.

The study found a large hyena population with a diet that consisted almost
exclusively of domestic animals.

Humans and hyenas are able to coexist because the cost of livestock
predation to the local people is relatively low.

The results are published in the journal of
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1616504712002595>
Mammalian Biology.

Spotted hyenas (Crocuta crocuta) are common large carnivores of sub-Saharan
Africa, and are the most important large scavengers and hunters in many
areas of Ethiopia.

According to lead author Gidey Yirga of Mekelle University, Ethiopia, these
findings demonstrate a "remarkable case of co-existence between spotted
hyena and local communities".

The study, conducted in the Wukro district of northern Ethiopia, determined
that this area has very little natural prey because agriculture has degraded
and fragmented the habitat.

The consequence is that "spotted hyenas are almost entirely dependent on
anthropogenic food," Mr Yirga told BBC Nature.

"Based on regular sightings of hyenas we hypothesised that our study area
will have moderately high densities, in spite of the absence of native
prey," he said.

To estimate the hyena population the team played continuous gnu-hyena
distress sounds, as well as spotted hyena sounds, through a megaphone at
randomly selected calling stations.

They found 52 hyenas per 100 square kilometres living alongside 98 people
per square kilometre.

By analysing hairs in the hyenas' droppings they found that 99% of their
diet was made up of domestic animals - chiefly cattle, donkeys, goats and
sheep.

Mr Yirga explained that it is likely that waste scavenging is one of the
most important food sources for spotted hyenas and that the associated cost
to people is both marginal and tolerable.

This peaceful coexistence is mutually beneficial - "spotted hyenas benefit
from waste disposal and human communities benefit from the waste-clearing
service," Mr Yirga explained.

He also commented on the wider significance of these findings: "This also
indicated that large carnivores could coexist with people at remarkably low
costs."