[dehai-news] Ethiopia’s Agenda to Destabilize Eritrea by Africa Business -By Sophia Tesfamariam

From: Eritrean Ngermany <eritrean.ngermany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 18:11:42 +0200

 Ethiopia’s Agenda to Destabilize
Eritrea<http://africabusiness.com/2012/10/20/ethiopia-eritrea/>

Posted on 20 October 2012 by Africa Business

*By Sophia Tesfamariam*

*20 October 2012*

The Somalia Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) kept expanding its allegations
against Eritrea, exposing its true motives and objectives-to first get
“stand alone sanctions” against the State of Eritrea and then use all kinds
of gimmicks and ploys to perpetuate the illegal sanctions against Eritrea,
presumably to weaken Eritrea, and to somehow (through the media and
propaganda), or legal attrition, give Ethiopia the moral and legal high
ground to pursue its agendas vis a vis Eritrea. Knowing full well the
extent of Ethiopia’s violations against the State of Eritrea and its
people, its 12-year long brazen destabilization efforts and Ethiopia’s
decade long occupation of sovereign Eritrean territories, the SEMG, in its
latest report had the audacity to accuse Eritrea of attempting to
destabilize Ethiopia.

The SEMG knows well that it is the minority regime in Ethiopia and its dead
leader Meles Zenawi, that have boisterously expressed dreams of changing
the government in Asmara and installing a puppet regime amenable to
Ethiopia’s whims. It is the regime in Ethiopia that has armed and harbored
groups and individuals that have committed terrorist acts against the State
of Eritrea. It is the minority regime that is taking refugees out of UNHCR
camps and forcing them to participate in its anti-Eritrea activities. On
several occasions, the regime, as the record will show, has also openly and
clearly spelled out its destabilization agendas against the State of
Eritrea to several US officials, including Donald Yamamoto, Deputy US
Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Jendayi E. Frazer, former
US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs and Karl Wyckoff,
Bureau of African Affairs at the US State Department and with UN Ambassador
Susan E. Rice, Meles Zenawi’s friend and confidante.

These myopic and vindictive members of the incompetent Bureau of African
Affairs and the US Mission at the UN sought to punish Eritrea because
Eritrea did not support all of Washington’s policies in the region. Members
of the UN Mission sought to punish Eritrea for standing up to the Security
Council. For not remaining silent as the Security Council ignored
Ethiopia’s violations of international law and Eritrea’s sovereignty. For
some, like the junior diplomats who make up the Bureau of African Affairs,
Eritrea was to be punished for not going along with Ethiopia’s plans for
Somalia, for having the temerity to sponsor peace talks for Somalis in
Asmara, the Eritrean capital. That was a big no-no for myopic diplomats
like Jendayi E. Frazer, who wrongly believe that only US’ fingerprints and
“AU sponsored talks” bring legitimacy to a peace process. According to US
diplomats, Africans don’t have the capacity to think, cannot make sound
analysis of their own situations, and are too stupid to know what is good
or bad for their people and neighborhood.

Insulting the intelligence of the Ethiopian people and their just and
gallant struggles against the minority regime in Ethiopia, today, the SEMG
is accusing Eritrea of attempting to “destabilize” Ethiopia. It is accusing
Eritrea of supporting the various armed opposition groups that are
struggling to liberate the people of Ethiopia from the Ethiopian
dictatorship. This is not only a desperate and rather stupid accusation; it
is a deliberate and futile attempt to stifle the struggles of the Ethiopian
people and undermine the contribution of the vast Ethiopian Diaspora.

For example, the SEMG presents the Ogaden National Liberation Front as a
creation of Eritrea to be used against the minority regime in Ethiopia.
Today, in cities across Africa, Europe and the United States, supporters of
the Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) are organizing events to
celebrate the founding of the ONLF on 15 August 1984. The ONLF has offices
around the world including the United States and its officials frequently
come to the US for fundraising activities and to meet with US lawmakers.
Despite what the minority regime in Ethiopia claims, its views are not
shared by all, not even its handlers.

According to a US Embassy cable authored by Donald Yamamoto:

*“…While the GoE [Government of Ethiopia] considers the ONLF a terrorist
group, the USG {US Government] views them as a nationalist movement that
has predominantly targeted GoE and Ethiopian military entities in response
to the marginalization of the Ogadeni people…”*

The US-backed Ethiopian invasion of Somalia was for the most part, a
pretext aimed at destroying Ethiopian opposition groups in neighboring
states. Meles Zenawi’s deceptive regime has perfected the propaganda tactic
known as “accusations in a mirror”. In order to hide its illegal activities
from the Ethiopian people, and to cover up its lawless behaviors, it
usually accuses others of doing what it itself. By now, Ethiopians must
know that anytime the regime accuses others of something, it is a signal
that, that is what the regime intends to do.

If they accuse someone of rejecting an agreement, it is because they intend
to reject that agreement. If they accuse the opposition of violence, it is
because they have planned genocide, violence and chaos. When they accused
the Ethiopian opposition of cheating in the 2005 elections, it is because
they had decided to rob the elections. When they accused Somalia of
declaring war, they did so because that is what they were planning to do.
When they accused Somalia and the Union of Islamic Courts of violating
Ethiopia’s sovereignty, they did so because they intended to violate
Somalia’s, and when they accuse Eritrea of destabilizing Ethiopia, it si
because they want to justify what they are doing themselves. In addition to
its chronic inferiority complex and mentality, Kenneth L. Marcus’s
explanation of “Accusation in a Mirror”, will provide us with a clear
definition for the propaganda tactic that the SEMG seems to have borrowed
from the regime in Ethiopia. Marcus wrote:

*“…The basic idea of AiM [Accusations in the Mirror] is deceptively simple:
propagandists must “impute to enemies exactly what they and their own party
are planning to do.” In other words, AiM is a rhetorical practice in which
one falsely accuses one’s enemies of conducting, plotting, or desiring to
commit precisely the same transgressions that one plans to commit against
them…It is similar to a false anticipatory to quoque: before one’s enemies
accuse one truthfully, one accuses them falsely of the same misdeed…A
typical tu quoque involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you’ve
just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation…”*

There are numerous other propaganda tactics that the regime in Ethiopia and
its handlers have employed in the past to advance the regime’s domestic and
foreign policy agendas. Today we will take a look at the latest accusation
by the SEMG and Ethiopia and allow the reader to judge for him/her self.

With the help of its western handlers, the minority regime in Ethiopia has
left no stone unturned to vilify Eritrea, to foment ethnic and religious
strife, to weaken Eritrea’s economy and isolate Eritrea diplomatically and
politically. While that is not new or surprising to the people of the
region in general and the people of Eritrea in particular, what is
surprising is the SEMG’s shameless regurgitation of the regime’s vile lies
and the SEMG’s attempt to mislead the Security Council and the Sanctions
Committee with its reports which can be easily refuted since the Ethiopian
regime’s destabilization agendas vis a vis Eritrea are well documented.

A 2007 US Embassy cable defines Ethiopia’s agendas clearly and succinctly.
The 30 October 2007 secret cable from the US Embassy in Ethiopia[1] details
a meeting held between the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea
(UNMEE) Head of Addis Ababa Office Joseph Stephanides and Yohannes
Gebremeskel, the Ethiopian regime’s military liaison officer. According to
cable, the Ethiopian cadre “outlined a potential scenario for an Ethiopian
overthrow of the Isaias government” [Eritrean Government]. It said:

*“…the Ethiopians would conduct a swift military action within a
five-phased plan. In phase 1, Ethiopia would promote instability inside
Eritrea leading to phase 2 where the Eritrean people would invite the
Ethiopians to help them, at which time the Ethiopian military would enter
Eritrea and depose Isaias. In phases 3 and 4 the Ethiopians would free the
political prisoners and bring in the Eritrean political opposition allowing
them to establish a transition government, and in phase 5 the Ethiopian
military would withdraw…”*

Promoting instability in Eritrea was listed as its primary objective and as
this paper will endeavor to show, the regime in Ethiopia and its handlers
have sought to implement its stated objectives and the illegal, unfair and
unjust US engineered sanctions can be seen within this context.

The Ethiopian Prime Minister, Hailemariam Desalegn told Reuters in 2011 how
the Ethiopian regime intended to carry out its agenda vis a vis Eritrea.
Reuters reported:

*“….This regime change is not by invading Eritrea but by supporting the
Eritrean people and groups which want to dismantle the regime. We are fully
engaged in doing so,” Hailemariam said….Hailemariam did not disclose the
extent of Addis Ababa’s support, but a few Eritrean groups already operate
from northern Ethiopia and have staged sporadic hit-and-run attacks inside
Eritrea in the past…”*

Professor Gérard Prunier for the Center for International Peace Operations,
Berlin, Germany seems to have in depth knowledge of the minority regime’s
destabilization activities against the State of Eritrea. According to
Prunier:

*“…the Ethiopians have managed to create a kind of “federation” (National
Alliance of Eritrean Forces or NAEF) composed of about fourteen different
opposition movements which include the Eritrean Islamic Reform Movement
(EIRM) and the Eritrea Democratic Alliance (EDA). But this “federation” is
of extremely dubious efficiency which is why the Ethiopians have created on
the side another organization, the Eritrean Revolutionary Democratic Front
(ERDF) which is in fact a big sounding name for a kind of fighting
commando…”*

Prunier gives further detail about the two organizations and their
differences. He writes:

*“…NAEF can be considered as a political movement while ERDF is a military
one. NAEF is kind of “official” and its leaders are known. But they have no
fighting strength. The ERDF is the opposite: it as an almost secret
organization with no known leaders and it is more an Eritrean Foreign
Legion of the Ethiopian Army than a real political movement. It is just
supposed to give a kind of “political local cover” for the Ethiopians the
day they would have to fight Eritrea, more or less the way Kabila’s Allied
Democratic Forces for a Liberation of Kongo-Zaire (ADFL) gave a local
Congolese cover to the RwandeseArmy in 1996…”*

The Eritrea Ethiopia border conflict in 1998-2000 saw the emergence of the
Eritrean Quislings League (EQL), a dubious alliance of the jilted and
scorned and those who abandoned the people of Eritrea in pursuit of other
personal agendas. This assortment of like-minded defectors, disgruntled
runaway diplomats, pedophiles, rapists, self-professed “intellectuals and
professionals”, deceitful counterfeiters, information launderers and an
assortment of shameless scandalous opportunists have made it their forte to
slander and malign the Eritrean people, especially the Eritrean Diaspora,
by creating defunct cyber political parties with no constituents to speak
of (except family members). With fanciful names, various “human rights” and
“democracy” groups [over 47 at last count] have mushroomed in cyberspace to
regurgitate and disseminate rehearsed spills provided to them by their
sponsors.

The timing of the emergence of such groups in cyberspace suggests that it
was aimed at distracting attention from the minority regime in Ethiopia and
its incessant attempts to revisit revise and if possible, annul the final
and binding Eritrea Ethiopia Boundary Commission’s (EEBC) delimitation and
demarcation decisions. Judging from campaigns and the joint programs
conducted with the minority regime in Ethiopia, the Eritrean Quislings
League, have played a major role in Meles Zenawi’s 12-year long effort to
destabilize Eritrea. Contrary to the picture that the SEMG is trying
portray, the regime’s record and those of its surrogates are well
documented. They are not merely “accusations from Asmara”.

Ethiopia’s intentions have been spelled out clearly by David Shinn, former
US Ambassador to Ethiopia and an avid supporter and apologist for the
Ethiopian regime. David Shinn speaking to the Voice of America on 19 March
2012 said:

*“…On the other side of the fence, one should point out that Ethiopia also
has a record of being supportive of Eritreans who oppose the regime in
Asmara…Shinn notes that Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi stated in
parliament last April that his government would actively support groups
trying to overthrow Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki…David Shinn recalls a
similar cross-border incursion when he was U.S. envoy to Ethiopia in 1997.
He says that incident was among those cited by Eritrea the following year
when war broke out…”*

If David Shinn knows, the US State Department also knows, the US Mission
knows and so does the SEMG. Furthermore, judging from the Wikileak
documents, the regime in Ethiopia has coordinated all its activities with
the US Embassy in Addis and Washington, and they in turn have shared their
findings with the P-5 Ambassadors, who are notified of its intentions long
before the public announcement and propaganda begin.

At the height of the 1998-2000 Eritrea Ethiopia border conflict, the regime
in Ethiopia rounded up individuals and groups that it believed could
support its anti-Eritrea propaganda campaign. Patrick Gilkes, UK Citizen
and Strategic Planning Advisor to the Foreign Ministry of Ethiopia reported
the following in a 1999 BBC report[2]:

*“…Ethiopia has hosted meetings of various factions of the Eritrean
Liberation Front, trying to bring the ELF-Revolutionary Council and the ELF
of Abdullah Idris together…It has offered support to three small Eritrean
Marxist opposition parties, and to an opposition Kunama party, and has
recently set up an Afar Red Sea Democratic Organisation to try and build up
Afar resistance to the Eritrean government…*

The Global Terrorism Database[3] has recorded the following terrorist acts
committed by the Red Sea Afar Democratic Organization (RSADO) and
Democratic Movement for the Liberation of the Eritrean Kunamas (DMLEK), the
two groups that were organized, financed, harbored and supported by the
minority regime in Ethiopia.

· 02/15/2010: On Monday, in Asmara, Maekel, Eritrea, rebels of the Red Sea
Afar Democratic Organization (RSADO) attacked the 28th Sub-division
military camp. It was unknown if the attack caused any damage. Seventeen
intelligence agents were killed and 20 others were injured in the attack.
The 28th sub-division military camp in Asmara, Eritrea was targeted in this
attack.

· 6/01/2008: On Sunday, a military vehicle ferrying food rations was blown
up after Red Sea AfarsDemocratic Organization members attacked soldiers in
Morad, Eritrea. No casualties were reported. A military truck carrying food
rations was targeted.

· 06/01/2008: On Sunday, four Eritrean soldiers, including a senior
commander, were killed and more than 10 others wounded when Red Sea Afars
Democratic Organization members attacked them in Morad, Eritrea. Eritrean
soldiers were targeted.

· 11/05/2007: The Democratic Movement for the Liberation of the Eritrean
Kunamas (DMLEK) destroyed the office of the Shembeko town administration
with an RPG in Western Eritrea. No casualties were reported.

· 11/05/2007: Militants using firearms from the Democratic Movement for the
Liberation of the EritreanKunamas (DMLEK) attacked government soldiers,
killing or wounding fifteen of them in Mlzay, Eritrea.

· 02/25/2009: On Wednesday, in Haykota, Gash-Barka, Eritrea, a bomb killed
two civilians and injured eight others at a restaurant in the semi-urban
centre. The restaurant was damaged in the attack. No group claimed
responsibility. A restaurant was targeted in Haykota, Gash-Barka, Eritrea.

· In 2003, British geologist Timothy Nutt was slain as he worked in
Eritrea, by the Eritrean Islamic Jihad, one of the groups financed,
harbored and supported by the regime in Ethiopia.

· Groups financed, harbored and supported by Ethiopia detonated a bomb in
Barentu, Eritrea during the 2004 Independence Day celebrations killing 5
people and wounding 88.

· A 30 July 2009 Press Release[4] entitled “Red Sea Afar Democratic
Organization (RSADO) and RSF (Eritrean Salvation Front) have joined forces
to strike At the Eritrean Regime in Asmara” said the following:

*“…In the past six months the afar rebel group have carried out more than
five attacks, causing significant blow to Afwerki’s regime, last November
it has destroyed a military radar system and attacked military camp killing
285 soldiers in a place called Sanafi at the heart of Akale Guzay, with
co-ordinated and simultaneous commando type operation which killed 13
Eritrean soldiers. They have also collected 9 Kalashnikov assault rifles, 1
RPG weapon, 1 Heavy Machine Gun and 3 mobile phones. The combined forces
have also captured five elite soldiers and brought them back in to
Ethiopia…”*

· Emboldened by the adoption of UN Security Council Resolution, the
minority regime in Ethiopia began its destabilization agenda against
Eritrea almost immediately. On 29 December 2009, just days after the
Security Council adopted the illegal, unjust and unfair Resolution 1907
(2009), a group financed, harbored and supported by the minority regime in
Ethiopia boasted of attacks against sovereign Eritrean territories. Sudan
Tribune reported[5]:

*“…An Eritrean opposition group said prepared to attack the government army
as the United Nations decided to impose sanction on Asmara last week. DMLEK
is a member of the Ethiopia based coalition Eritrean Democratic Alliance,
of which two other groups have also waged a nascent armed struggle often
staging hit-and-run attacks…The chairman of the Sena’a Cooperation Forum
and representative of the Ethiopian government, Mr. Hubur Gebrekidan, in
remarks delivered at the opening sitting of the meeting, praised the merger
of the three groups and pledged the support of the Ethiopian government and
the regional forum to the meeting…”*

· The Sudan Tribune reported the following in its 3 January 2010 report.
This time it was reporting on another group, RSADO, a group financed,
harbored and supported by Meles Zenawi’s minority regime in Ethiopia:

*“…An Eritrean rebel group, Red Sea Afar Democratic Organization (RSADO),
has vowed to step up military attacks this year to overthrow the east
African nation’s government. RSADO Chairman IbrahimHaron said that the
military measures will undertaken jointly with other rebel forces” Some
eight political groups have built a joint military front to depose the
tyrannical Eritrean government” said Ethiopia-based Ibrahim. He said the
coalition “will collectively launch massive military attacks in 2011 and we
expect major victories along the year”…The group says it has killed and
wounded hundreds of government soldiers in attacks inside Eritrea since
early 2009…″*

· Tigray Online posted a Press Release about another attack on Eritrea, by
RSADO, a group harbored, financed and supported by Meles Zenawi’s minority