[dehai-news] Human Trafficking: Time for the President's Words to Match His Actions in East Africa

From: YPFDJ Media <ypfdjmedia_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 14:21:39 -0400

In a speech at the annual meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative on
Tuesday, September 25, President Barack Obama discussed his nation's
commitment to ending human trafficking, both in the US and around the
world.

As an example of this commitment, President Obama claimed that he "renewed
sanctions on some of the worst abusers, including North Korea and Eritrea".

The president's claim, however, that Eritrea is a country that encourages
or supports human trafficking is undeniably false. Eritrea is not, nor has
ever been, involved in human trafficking.

In fact, Eritrea has been a strong enforcer of its own laws preventing
trafficking, by arresting smugglers conspiring to traffic Eritreans towards
Sudan, Egypt, and Israel. These smugglers threaten migrants and their
families with ransom under the threat of murdering their victims.

Whether he knew it or not, President Obama spoke to this tragedy, with this
statement. When [a person] runs away from home, or is lured by the false
promises of a better life that's slavery. It is barbaric, and it is evil,
and it has no place in a civilized world.

The image the President conjured up here describes perfectly the plight of
many Eritreans who seek to traverse the deserts of Sudan and Egypt to
pursue the "better life" that supposedly awaits them in Cairo, Israel, and
in the West.

While the President is correct in calling for an end to human trafficking,
his foreign policy in East Africa does just the opposite, promoting the
evil practice. The Department of State, through their embassy in
Asmara, *promotes
a policy of encouraging youth to flee to Sudan, giving them expedited visas*.
With smuggling routes being one of the only means of travel, the "false
promises of a better life" promoted by the State Department force youth to
use human traffickers, endangering their lives and their family's welfare.

Additionally, the President clearly showed his disconnect with foreign
policy in the region by saying he renewed sanctions because of Eritrea's
alleged role in trafficking. In the heavily criticized sanctions
resolutions and accompanying UN report, the central reasoning was Eritrea's
so-called support for Al-Shabaab, an allegation that has been countered by
non-profits, the Eritrean diaspora community, and even Al-Shabaab itself.
In fact, in May 2012, tens of thousands of Eritreans converged in
Washington, DC to protest these unjust sanctions.

There is an obvious conflict between the President's words and actions when
it comes to human trafficking. Current US actions are furthering this human
rights tragedy in Northeast Africa. To make progress on ending trafficking
in this part of the world, the United States must begin dialogue with
countries willing to strongly enforce anti-trafficking laws. Eritrea
continues to be proactive in such enforcement, and would therefore be a
solid partner if the US is ready to commit to action on human trafficking
just as much as it commits in words. It is the responsibility of all
countries with a stake in the region to end this evil practice. Eritrea is
doing its part. We hope we can count on the United States to do the same.

--
YPFDJ MEDIA