[dehai-news] Obama Sounded Ignorant When Talking About Eritrea

From: Bereket Kidane <welela83_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 04:01:53 -0700 (PDT)

President Obama sounded downright ignorant when he decided to lump Eritrea in together with North Korea. That's something that I would expect from Susan Rice but not from the man who ran to reset America's relations with the rest of the world and bring in a new way of doing business at Foggy Bottom. Does he not know the difference or was he just being lazy? For President Obama to brag about the sanctions his administration passed on Eritrea by openly denying it due process at the kangaroo court known as UNSC is shameful. His UN Representative railroaded, bullied and bamboozled the UNSC members who wanted more time to check the veracity of Weyane's claims of Eritrea bombing the AU Headquarters or destabilizing the region by supporting Al Shabab. It was a claim that didn't make any sense to anyone with an average intelligence or an IQ of 80 or above. Let's be clear: the illegal and unjust sanctions on Eritrea were passed because Susan Rice circumvented
 the rules, shut down any debate on the resolution, and muzzled Eritrea from having a chance to defend itself. Running roughshod over the UNSC rules and railroading a small, proud, independent African nation by bribing its corrupt sister countries and turning them against it is nothing to be proud of Mr. President. It certainly isn't worth bragging about. Perhaps we were wrong to expect more from the Son of Africa. Candidate Obama certainly sounded like he was going to represent a departure from the misguided Bush years but all he has done is continue the policy errors of his predecessor. In fact, one could argue that he has exacerbated them. Eritrean-Americans may not be able to bring themselves to vote for Romney but staying home on election day in battleground, swing states like Virginia is a perfectly good and acceptable option.