[dehai-news] Shabait.com: Where Lies The Reason For Privation In Nations That Took Independence 60 Years Ago?

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:18:44 +0200

Where Lies The Reason For Privation In Nations That Took Independence 60
Years Ago?

Monday, 26 September 2012 01:34 | Written by Shabait Admin |
<http://www.shabait.com/section-blog/40-editorial/11079-where-lies-the-reaso
n-for-privation-in-nations-that-took-independence-60-years-ago?format=pdf>
PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/section-blog/40-editorial/11079-where-lies-the-reaso
n-for-privation-in-nations-that-took-independence-60-years-ago?tmpl=componen
t&print=1&layout=default&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy
5zaGFiYWl0LmNvbS9zZWN0aW9uLWJsb2cvNDAtZWRpdG9yaWFsLzExMDc5LXdoZXJlLWxpZXMtdG
hlLXJlYXNvbi1mb3ItcHJpdmF0aW9uLWluLW5hdGlvbnMtdGhhdC10b29rLWluZGVwZW5kZW5jZS
02MC15ZWFycy1hZ28%3D> E-mail

Why are those nations that were granted independence some six decades ago
indigence-stricken to date? This is right and proper question apropos
current global state of affairs, especially, that of our continent. In
short, the cause for the said question is but mismanagement. How? This is
yet a follow-up question, which requires due answer. In the wake of
decolonization, a number of nations defaulted from the outset on fulfilling
national action program for improving the quality of life of their peoples,
thereby conceding, in the name of privatization, all the national resources
to foreignersand their abettors from within. Instead of marshaling all the
existing resources towards laying a solid economic foundation, governments
at the earliest stage of nation-building aimed for the philosophy of
privatization in vogue. Surprisingly, too, the private sector in the economy
of many nations is practically parastatal, albeit dichotomized into private
and state-run.

It is not uncommon to witness in many countries an amalgam of political
power and national resources in which a Minister ownsthe largest animal
husbandry and meat and dairy products business, First Lady be in possession
of the largest mall and corners the market for qat, a Minister holds the
biggest bank and his/her nephew monopolizes the arms dealings, and an
administrator cartelizes the poultry industry. National resources aside,
these same officials privatize and trade the aid handouts donated by the
international community, and thus, arrange international bank accounts.

The socio-economic policies that have entered into effect under such
circumstances are oriented to serve the aforementioned vested interests. As
parochial interests of these officials are intertwined, any official paves
asphalted road towards his/her hometown, a president builds airport in
his/her place of birth, as well as an administrator conducts mining
activities in his origin with a view to controlling the wealth of a nation
by an elite group and marginalizing the people from equitable distribution
of national resources. Accordingly, national treasure is cornered by a
handful that all the country's resources is harnessed and structured to
satisfy a minority. Since such modus operandi turns out to be fertile ground
for speculations in which scores of brokers emerge to negotiate the sale and
procurement of goods and services produced by a few, this wheel and deal
economy proves to be worthless for the majority.
Whereas ensuring vested interests that marginalize the majority lie the
breeding ground for subnational and nepotistic congregations, that very
nation is bound to fail. The history of Africa-which is endowed with a
considerable total area, minerals and petroleum as well asrivers- amounts to
this misfortune. The hunger in Africa, which has led up to the formation of
institutionalized corporate greed, remains sustained. In a manner that
threatens the very existence of this continent. Aid organizations that
mushroomed abreast the stated developments secured their base and market in
Africa. Aids and decayed crops that have been handed out to Africa by the
so-called relief organizations, whose blessing in disguise underpins the
frustrations of indigent peoples, created conducive environment for their
benefit.

Thus, in order to reverse the unjustified drought and famine which looms
over African countries, improve the quality of the people, as well as to
ensure food security, regimes that accord primacy to robust action programs,
rid of external meddling, as well as regimesthat count upon people-based
policies must come into existence.

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.png