[dehai-news] Unwarranted and Disrespectful Statements made by Irina Bokova, UNESCO head about Eritrea

From: Sophia Tesfamariam <sophia_tesfamariam_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:41:39 -0400

Unwarranted and Disrespectful Statements made by UNESCO's Irina Bokova, regarding Eritrea

Sophia Tesfamariam

I read the comments[1] made by Irina Bokova, UNESCO head and her unsubstantiated comments about the State of Eritrea and its people. What does she know about the journalists in Eritrea as the Government of Eritrea has never disclosed any information about them? It is not in the culture of Eritrea to detail the crimes committed by individuals whether they are big or small. It is also not the culture of Eritreans to falsely accuse others without any concrete evidence. It is also not the culture of Eritreans to pander to the west for validation or blessing of any of our decisions as we do not consider ourselves to be inferior to anyone. We, the people of Eritrea collectively have enough wisdom to go around the world a few times over!

As I was searching to find out who Irina Bokova was and her experiences with Eritrea, I found this interesting paragraph found in the Wikileak cable[2]. It was written at the time of her nomination to head UNESCO. The Embassy cable says:

"...A window of opportunity has opened for the United States at UNESCO. With the election of Irina Bokova, the U.S. has a favorably disposed Director-General ...The U.S. now has a unique opportunity to affect UNESCO's future course. Our successful efforts to influence the outcome of the Director-General selection at last September's Executive Board have demonstrated to other member states that the U.S. is a power to be reckoned with in this Organization, and in the person of new Director-General Irina Bokova, we have someone who is well disposed to the U.S. and who is clearly aware of how much she owes us. As of now Bokova is proceeding cautiously and consulting us frequently. She is focused on assembling her management team and has said relatively little about her programmatic priorities for the Organization other than that she would like to do more on science and on inter-cultural dialogue. This is, therefore, the moment for the U.S. to make clear to Bokova and to member states what we would like UNESCO to do..."

We have seen what the US did at the UN Human Rights Council, using that body to advance its illicit agendas against the State of Eritrea. Reducing that organ of the UN into an appendage of the US Mission at the UN by providing funds and unfettered access to the UN Security Council and other forums for individuals and groups (family members of those recruited in Eritrea to overthrow the Government of Eritrea) that have been blackmailing and defaming Eritrea, while denying the Government and people of Eritrea, including the vast Eritrean Diaspora equal voice in any forums. But let us see what else the US envisioned for UNESCO, so that we are not caught by surprise by any of its future endeavors:

"...As we move forward with those of these ideas that Washington may approve, we will need to keep in mind that UNESCO often lacks sufficient, trained personnel to implement the projects it wants to undertake. Its personnel shortages are even more acute than its financial limitations. If we want important projects done quickly and according to our wishes, we will in many instances have to help provide UNESCO the manpower to do them. We will thus need to consider concluding an agreement with UNESCO to provide Associate Experts, who can be compensated out of our extra-budgetary funds. (Italy, UNESCO's largest donor of extra-budgetary funds, for example, makes extensive use of this mechanism to place Italians in positions of strategic importance to Italy.) We will also wish to make use of existing mechanisms to second staff to the Secretariat and to place Fullbright fellows or interns in offices involved in implementing our programs..."

So who are the proud recipients of these "Fullbright" scholarships? The list of Eritreans who have been provided this special scholarship is an interesting group and more on that on a later date. But more importantly, are these UN entities supposed to serve the interests of the US and its allies or the whole world?

As the above cable clearly shows, Irina Bokoba woman is subservient to the US and will do anything and say anything in order to advance US interests in the Horn of Africa. At a time when the whole world, especially Ethiopians are focused on the detentions and massacres of journalists in Ethiopia, when the US has itself detained over 80 journalists to date, it is disingenuous and downright hypocritical of this woman to single out Eritrea for her outrage.

No doubt she was told to say what she said as it is that time of the year-September 18, when all the world's presses stop and point their ugly bloody fingers at Eritrea, as if they were really concerned about the individuals that have been detained for treasonous activities. We have become accustomed to the unprecedented vilification and defamation campaigns emanating from Washington and the US Mission at the UN for the last 12 years. It is rather sad and unfortunate that the UN has been reduced, in its totality, into an extension of Foggy Bottom and the White House.

Eritreans do not need Irina Bokova's or any other individual or group to tell us what is good for our country and our people. In Eritrea, journalists are not above the law and inciting hatred, religious and ethnic conflicts is not considered free speech. You have your values and we have ours. We live in peace because we genuinely care for, respect and tolerate our fellow citizens, not because of some legislation. Our attitudes are borne out of a long and bitter struggle and we may be economically poor, but we are not intellectually deprived!

There are thousands of serious issues that this body could have resolved, but it chooses again to serve as the mouthpiece for Susan Rice and her shameful subordinates. How shameful!

The issue of the Independent Press in Eritrea in brief

The Government and people of Eritrea opted to close down the "independent press" that had mushroomed in Eritrea in 1999 for two reasons: they had seized being independent and were endangering the peace, stability and security in Eritrea and disrupting the unity of the nation. In addition, they had violated Eritrea's Press Proclamation No. 90/1996. Internal and external groups and individuals hijacked their "independence". They ended up becoming mouthpieces for forces that sought to destabilize Eritrea in time of war. The arrests of these persons in Eritrea had nothing to do with them being "journalists".

For a better explanation of who they were, I will refer to reports written by Neil Skene, an American journalist hired by the State Department to conduct "training seminars" for journalists in Eritrea between 1999-2001, during the Eritrea Ethiopia border conflict, to give the readers a bit of background and facts that neither Reporters Sans Frontiers (I call them reporters Sans Couth), or the State Department ever mention. In a matter of 3 years, the budding journalists turned from nationalists to enemies of the State. How did this happen? Well let us take a look at what Neil Skene has to say. On 24 April 2002 Neil Skene wrote the following about the detained journalists: "...I know most of them, because they were my students in three weeklong training programs financed by the US State Department over the past three years. What they lacked in experience they made up for in dedication to learning to be journalists in a country that had no experience with journalism. During breaks, we drank cappuccino in a cafe downstairs from the American Cultural Center. They took me to their favorite places for dinner and invited to me to their offices, which were usually drab rooms with peeling paint, sparse furnishings, a couple of computers and sometimes a single window ..."

So far so good...there is more.