[dehai-news] Innercitypress.com: As Kenya Navy Shells Somalia, UN No Answer For Days, Like Drone Strikes

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 19:18:19 +0200

As Kenya Navy Shells Somalia, UN No Answer For Days, Like Drone Strikes

By Matthew Russell Lee

UNITED NATIONS, September 6, 2012 -- In some countries, the UN looks the
other way when civilians in a city get shelled. On Somalia, on August 30
<http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2012/db120830.doc.htm> Inner City
Press asked Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's associate spokesman Farhan Haq
<http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2012/db120830.doc.htmhttp:/www.un.org
/News/briefings/docs/2012/db120830.doc.htm> :

Inner City Press: there has been a report that the Kenyan navy was shelling
Kismayo and that they are not part of AMISOM [African Union Mission in
Somalia]. They are in support of AMISOM military action there, but civilians
have been killed. I just wondered if Mr. [Augustine] Mahiga, or how the UN
views essentially the Kenyan navy shelling Somalia.

Associate Spokesperson Haq: There has been no comment from Mr. Mahiga thus
far, but we'll check and see whether there is anything he says further about
these reports.

  But in the four days afterward, there was no further response. Rather,
there were new reports of shelling, even indirectly confirmed by Kenyan Army
spokesman Emmanuel Chirchir.

  And so at the next UN noon briefing on September 4
<http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2012/db120904.doc.htm> , Inner City
Press asked Ban's lead spokesman Martin Nesirky:
<http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2012/db120904.doc.htm>

Inner City Press: there seems to be now renewed shelling of Kismayo in
Somalia by the Kenyan navy. Since this is African Union Mission in Somalia
(AMISOM), I believe, it's either materially supported by DFS [Department of
Field Support] and there is Mr. [Augustine P.] Mahiga. What does the United
Nations say? Some people are saying these are random; it's not a targeted
shelling, it's just a simply shelling of a town in the name of peacekeeping.
Is there some UN response to this?

Spokesperson Nesirky: I believe this has been raised already. To my
knowledge, there is not a naval component of AMISOM. I will need to check,
but to my knowledge there is not a naval component of AMISOM. But as I say,
I will check.

  Eight hours later, there had been no response at all - most importantly,
on what does the UN say about this shelling of a city in a country in which
it has long had a Political Office? Why does the UN speak out against such
shelling in some countries and not others?

  Some see this as similar to the plausible deniability of WHO did the
strikes that most recently killed civilians in Yemen. For a country to try
to get away with it is one thing. But the UN? Watch this site.