[dehai-news] Eritrean Festival DC a Show of Unflinching Unity

From: <awetnayu_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:14:33 -0600

Eritrean Festival DC a Show of Unflinching Unity

Amanuel Biedemariam

As usual, on August 17-19, 2012, Eritreans in Metro
DC celebrated Eritrean Festival in grand fashion. Eritreans all over have taken
these annual rituals as a second nature. Year after year, for over
thirty years, Eritreans have gathered to celebrate each other, music and
Eritrean cultures. Eritreans gather to exchange information, educate each other,
to get updates on the current developments of their nation and the region. They
sell goods and services to each other. It is a festive moment with a purpose
that Eritreans look forward-to with great enthusiasm.

Eritrean festival is unique success story, unique to
Eritrea that played pivotal role in the fight for independence of Eritrea. Before
independence, before Eritrea had a government, the Festival brought Eritreans
together from all around the globe in Bologna Italy and, made Eritrean history
year after year. After independence, the festivals grew and spread globally
reaching Eritreans wherever they are. In North America the charged, festivals
are celebrated in every corner where Eritreans reside. The major metropolitan
areas draw large crowds. This year for example, Oakland California, Toronto
Canada and DC celebrated in a grand fashion.

What is fascinating is the festivals ability to
bring Eritrean communities from different areas as one. For example, five
million people covering Maryland, Virginia and the District inhabit the Metro
DC area. The Eritrean community leaves scattered everywhere but when it comes
to the festival, they flourish and show identity of a community inseparable by
distance.

Local musicians and musicians from Eritrea come to
celebrate. This Year, Faytinga, Bereket Mengisteab, Tareke T-Hiwot, Korchach,
Hailom and others came and added color to an already colorful event. Locally,
musicians such as Tefeno Aklilu, Sami Berhane and others and added to the fun
by singing songs like the new sensation Elele sending the people into
frenzy.

This year, the three-day festivities included a
seminar given by three intellectuals namely, Isayas Tesfamariam, Dr. Asghede
Hagos and Elias Amare. This seminar was a highlight of the event that needs to
be shared by every Eritrean.

Issayas Tesfamariam is a historian,
film director, writer, photographer, blogger, and head of Microfilming
Department at Hoover Institution. He is the author of the book 'Eritrea,
Colors in Motion', producer of the films Asmara: 'City of Radiance' and
'Eritrea an old new nation. Mr. Tesfamariam presented a
paper about Soft Power. He explained what power is, what Soft Power means and,
how Eritrea can take advantage of this untapped potential. His detailed
presentation is 'must' see by every Eritrean. He explained how culture, art,
history, human stories, individual achievements, geography, artifacts etc can
help promote and defend Eritrea. Lack of awareness of this Soft Power is
tantamount to wasted opportunities. He showed many slides as examples of Soft
Power. Mr. Tesfamariam's educational seminar is powerful tool that will help
Eritreans jump-start businesses and industries all over.

Dr. Asgede Hagos is a Professor of
Mass Communications at Delaware State University. He is the author of
'Hardened Images: The Western Media and the Marginalization of Africa'. He
also wrote Media Intervention in Peace Building in Burundi 'The Studio
Ijambo Experience and Impact as part of USAID's Greater Horn of Africa
Peace Building Project. Dr. Asghede educated
Eritreans how the enemies use their media to demonize and forward their agendas
and, gave some solutions to counter their offensive. Dr. Asghede said Western
media are businesses, concerned, primarily about their pocket books and,
willing to do anything to get exclusive stories. These agenda setting news
organizations like the Washington Post get their exclusive stories in a quid
pro quo from institutions like the State Department. It is perpetual cycle,
hard to break, that the handlers know how to use effectively while keeping the
public in the dark. There is no regard to balance or fairness. Hence, it is
important to counter their negatives with stories of our own.

Elias Amare, an Independent freelance
researcher/writer, a Senior Fellow with Peace building Center for the
Horn of Africa (PCHA), served as an ERI-TV journalist, a senior book
editor, Communications Director and cultural attach with the Eritrean
Embassy in Washington, DC and a longtime volunteer community organizer. Mr.
Elias Amare presented a paper that explained how they wage Psychological
Warfare against Eritrea and what their goals are. Mr. Amare explained 'Creative
Destruction,' explained how it is applied on Eritrea and provided examples such
as the Arab Spring. Mr. Amare noted, even though Eritrea has successfully
foiled their ploys, vigilance is still necessary to continue defending the
nation by what he called 'Writing is Fighting.' Mr. Amare showed historic
slides that dated back to the 50s, 60s and 70s highlighting the importance of
writing vigilantly. He told stories about Eritrea's giants such as Aboi Weldeab
Weldemariam and Musa Aron and stressed the significant roles they played in
challenging the colonial propaganda machinery. Writing played significant role
in the fight for Eritrea's independence and Mr. Amare stressed that the current
challenges requires writing, more and, often in order to challenge the barrage
of demonizing attempts being waged.

The Eritrean Festival opened on Friday with
enthusiasm and, on Saturday, Ambassador Araya Desta briefed Eritreans about the
current developments. He spoke about Eritrea's achievements and said that
Eritrea is in a much better position especially when considering the state of
Eritrea after independence. He also said that brighter future awaits Eritrea
due the strides the people of Eritrea have made in achieving food security. He
noted that the abundant rainfalls of this year has filled the dams Eritrea
built recently. In addition, he noted that the mining potential such as potash
will ensure Eritrea's long-term economic viability. Ambassador Desta explained
the current challenges Eritrea faces at the UN and noted that the resoluteness
of the people and government of Eritrea are foiling the evil attempts of the
enemies.

The Eritrean Festival is a major cultural event that
adds to the luster of DC every year. It is infusion to DC's robust tourism and
cultural diversity. This year dignitaries, diplomats and the media attended the
festivities from many parts of the country. Congressman Jim Moran's office sent
representatives. Many nationalities from the horn of Africa were also present
adding to the beauty of the festival, a testament to the positive role
Eritreans play in bringing the people of the region together.

The Eritrean Festival in DC was significant
achievement for Eritreans in the Metro DC and the US, it is even a greater
achievement when one considers the large number of youth that participated for
it is a testament of the unflinching unity of Eritreans worldwide.

Hence, it is imperative for every
Eritrean to play a due role to enrich the festivals since the festival is part
of our rich history and reflection of who we are. It is also a way to promote
Eritrea by introducing it to other cultures and organizations that could become
future friends of Eritrea. Our national expression ought to be service oriented
to the nation and each other. That is the only way we can add to our rich,
colorful and robust future.

Awetnayu_at_hotmail.com