[dehai-news] (Oil Price) - International Oil Companies Illegally Exploiting Somali Hydrocarbons?

From: Haile Beyene <hbeyene_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:15:29 -0400

http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/International-Oil-Companies-Illegally-Exploiting-Somali-Hydrocarbons.html

International Oil Companies Illegally Exploiting Somali Hydrocarbons?

By Editorial Dept | Thu, 23 August 2012 14:29 | 0

Benefit From the Latest Energy Trends and Investment Opportunities before
the mainstream media and investing public are aware they even exist. The
Free Oilprice.com Energy Intelligence Report gives you this and much more.
Click here to find out more.

The East African Energy Forum has issued warnings to the Kenyan Government
and four international oil companies today that are illegally exploiting
offshore hydrocarbon concessions off the southern coast of Somalia. The
lobby group has said in its directive to the oil giants that they have
engaged in a gross infringement of Somalia's offshore resources,
territorial integrity and sovereignty.

"These offshore oil blocks are solely owned by the Republic of Somalia as
stipulated in the 1982 UN Common Law on the Sea (UNCLOS). Kenya's move to
sell these oil blocks violates international law" says Abdillahi Mohamud,
the lobby's managing director.

He states that the oil blocks sold by Kenya in Somali waters are L21, L23,
L24 purchased by Italy's Eni, L22 by France's Total S.A., L5 by USA's
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation and Block L26 by Norway's Statoil.

The lobby group warned these companies risk being shut out of future Somali
energy concessions which are estimated to hold large untapped reserves
along with what he described as 'legal action' the group’s lawyers would
pursue.

"They should deal directly with Somalia, appropriating these blocks from
the rightful owner is not in the interest of these otherwise innovative and
successful oil companies."

The lobby group has stated it is planning legal action against Kenya and
the oil companies.
"We are not asking for compliance on a matter of dispute, this isn’t a
dispute, it’s a violation of Somalia's international boundaries established
by an international law of which Kenya is a signatory. We will file court
proceedings against those involved in the coming weeks at the International
Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in Hamburg, Germany."

He continues on saying it is in Kenya and the oil company’s best interest
to cease allocating offshore blocks that rightfully belong to Somalia.

"We will continue to take the matter to the highest courts, any attempt at
illegally exploiting Somalia’s energy resources will be met with full
opposition from us and our partners."

The lobby group has noted the total area of Somali offshore territory that
is being illegally sold by Kenya and purchased by the four oil companies is
approximately 116,000 square kilometers, an area about the size of Greece.

By. Abdillahi Mohamud : abdillahi_at_eaenergyforum.org