[dehai-news] ESMG's Latest Report on Eritrea: Same Stuff - Different Day!

From: Berhane Alazar <fwd_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:33:36 -0400

Berhane Alazar
July 24, 2012

When I read the latest report of the so called Eritrea Somalia
Monitoring Group (ESMG), here in referred to as MG, the first phrase
that came to my mind was what I used to hear my kids and their
friends repeating somewhat aimlessly

Liar! Liar!
Pants on fire!

I mean, the MG doesn't even seem to master the art of lying. For
heaven's sake, there's got to be some elements in its report that
might persuade the most gullible and unsuspecting soul. But,
arrogantly, accusing Eritrea solely based on certain less than
credible sources gives away the secret of its mission under which the
MG apparently was directed to operate by the powers to be!

After what amounts to heavy handed US pressure on the MG and US
blackmailing the rest of the members of the UNSC, not one, but two
unjust and illegal sanctions were imposed on Eritrea based on, at
best, hearsays - and pure fabrications at worst! Those sanctions were
passed primarily on Ethiopia-fed and US-digested fairy tales that
Eritrea was supporting Somalia’s Al Shabab in a proxy war to get back
at Ethiopia! Never mind why Eritrea would get back at Ethiopia
through a non-bordering state, Somalia, when it has a common border
with Ethiopia more than 1,000 km long is, of course, part of the
ineptitude of this group and its handlers.

So, now after all the damage to Eritrea it believes has been done,
the same group came up with a report that appears to exonerate the
all along innocent Eritrea that Eritrea was wrongly accused of
supporting the Al Shebab. We have a saying in Tigrigna that amply
describes the state of the bellicose posture the US adopts vis-a-vis
Eritrea's independent political standing. 'z'aKlen THinensi
be'alemaryam ybla'! But, wait a minute! The group does not get served
well if it contradicts its earlier reports. Does it? And what does it
do to sound as if its previous reports on Eritrea were never wrong?
In its latest report, it simply stated that the Eritreans appear to
have "Stopped" supporting the nonexistent Al-Shebab support in the
first place. Talk about cowardly behavior committed against the
people and government of Eritrea based on "Credible but NOT verified"
stories! Credible but not verified...!

But surely, Eritrea could not be off the hook just because the
irresponsible group said that Eritrea no longer supports the Somali
insurgents. You guessed it; Eritrea must be accused of supporting any
other group in the area or beyond. Who is watching anyway? Why, it is
tantalizing to state some wild assertions that it is supporting the
opposition groups in Ethiopia. Poor Ethiopia! Really! That is what
the latest report is trying to tell the gullible person or group, if
there is one. Here again, it clearly shows what the purpose of the
illegal and unjust sanctions that were imposed on Eritrea. It had
nothing to do with the palatable excuse that Eritrea was supporting
Al-Shebab or even their latest drama of Eritrea invading Djibouti,
which of course was not true. All the huffing and puffing of the
current US Ambassador to the UN and other US officials were to
hoodwink world opinion in support of the Addis Ababa regime and
encourage that regime to continue to disregard the rule of law in its
relations with Eritrea.

Here we have a government in Ethiopia that OPENLY and arrogantly
brags about providing military assistance to the ever mushrooming
Jihadists and regionalist groups of Eritrean self-exiles in a vain
attempt to overthrow the popular government of Eritrea. Yet, this
clueless and shameless group finds it appropriate to accuse Eritrea
of supporting Ethiopian rebels while conveniently remaining mum on
the open hostility shown by the Ethiopian regime. But again, why
would this stand of the MG surprise any astute political observer
when the UNSC itself has the same corrupt position when agitating a
nonexistent border issue with Djibouti while placing under the rug
the unimplemented Ethio-Eritrea border verdict of April 13, 2003 that
awarded Badme and others to Eritrea! It is Ethiopia that has refused
to abide by the same international decision it had signed to respect
and continues to occupy a swath of sovereign Eritrean territories.

Speaking about Djibouti, one can't help but wonder why this hapless
group continues to remain the laughing stock of some Horn of Africa
watchers, when it expects us to believe about some phantom Djiboutian
"POWs" that had escaped from Eritrea. Let me guess, just because
someone said that they are POWs that escaped from Eritrea under, no
doubt, the coercion or duress of certain authorities and just because
the "Trustworthy" MG reported it, one is to believe lock, stock and
barrel about the authenticity of the story? Just like that?

Finally, as to the so called "2% Tax", what part of "It is my money
and I do whatever the hell I wanted to do with it legally" the MG and
its supporters don't understand? And that is what it is; and it will
remain so as long as there is some need to help our people back home.
The responsibility of supporting our people is not something we
Eritreans take it lightly. Those Eritreans who chose not to
participate in that program may be doing it and nobody is fussing
about it.