[dehai-news] (Reuters) Ethiopian police clash with Muslim protesters, several arrested

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 22:36:22 -0400

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFBRE86K0IB20120721?sp=true

Ethiopian police clash with Muslim protesters, several arrested
Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:27pm GMT

By Aaron Maasho

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Ethiopian police clashed on Saturday with
scores of Muslims protesters complaining that the state is interfering
in their religion, witnesses and officials said.

The protesters, some wearing masks, blocked the entrance of the Anwar
Mosque in the west of the capital Addis Ababa and hurled stones at
riot police who had surrounded the compound after noon prayers.

"Police broke inside the mosque and arrested many people, including
several members of the (protest organising) committee. They also fired
teargas at protesters outside," said an activist who declined to be
named for fear of reprisals.

Another witness said he had seen empty tear gas canisters strewn on
the ground. It was not immediately possible to verify these reports.

Thousands of Muslims have staged sporadic street protests in the
capital since late last year, arguing that the government is promoting
an alien branch of Islam, the Al Ahbash sect, which is avowedly
apolitical and has numerous adherents in the United States.

The government denies promoting Al Ahbash, but is determined to
prevent Islamic militancy spilling over from neighbouring Sudan or
lawless Somalia.

Around 60 percent of Ethiopians are Christian and 30 percent Muslim,
mostly of the moderate, pragmatic Sufi tradition.

Diplomats and analysts say there could be potential for any militant
groups to exploit sectarian divisions and trigger violence.

The government accuses "extremist elements" of sparking violence at
the protests.

Government spokesman Shimeles Kemal said police had arrested 'several'
people on Saturday but denied that police had used teargas.

"These were masked assailants from extremist groups that prevented
mosque attendants from leaving the compound after the completion of
noon prayers," he said.

"They tried to incite violence, they threw stones and damaged property."

Activists have reported several deaths during previous clashes, but no
casualties were reported on Saturday.

Al Ahbash, also known as the Association of Islamic Charitable
Projects, was founded in the early 1980s by Sheikh Abdullah al
Harrari, an Ethiopian cleric who was forced to leave his country for
Lebanon in 1950.

The protesters say the government is promoting the ideas of the group
through Ethiopia's highest Muslim body, the Supreme Council on Islamic
Affairs, and preventing overdue elections that could bring alternative
views onto the Council.

Shimeles denied that the government was trying to influence Muslim
affairs. "Our constitution bans any government interference in
religion," he said.

(Editing by Kevin Liffey)