[dehai-news] Gcis.gov.za: Africa: Acceptance Speech of Newly Elected African Union Commission Chairpersonship by South African Home Affairs Minister Dr Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:47:43 +0200

Africa: Acceptance Speech of Newly Elected African Union Commission
Chairpersonship by South African Home Affairs Minister Dr Nkosazana Dlamini
Zuma

document

Addis Ababa - It is with honour and humility that I today accept my election
as the incoming chairperson of the African Union Commission.

I am also grateful to the Southern African region for nominating me to serve
the people of our continent in this capacity. More importantly I would like
to express my gratitude to all the Heads of State and Government for my
election and for entrusting me with an enormous responsibility which I
commit to fulfilling with total commitment.

My election is not a personal victory but a victory for the African
continent in general and for women in particular. I would like to also
congratulate the Deputy Chairperson on his re-election and all the other
Commissioners who are going to form part of this team. I would like to thank
Dr Jean Ping for all the hard work he has put into the Commission and I
would just like to say I have known Dr Ping for some time - when he was
still the Foreign Minister of Gabon. I hope that although you have said you
have bowed out, if I do knock at your door asking for advice, that the door
will be open.

I am aware that I shall only be able to discharge this responsibility by
working with all member states and the talent that exists in our continent,
for all the regions, to ensure a better life for all our peoples.

Our organisation is now almost 50 years old and it was founded on the
principles of unity and it will be important to keep that unity and cohesion
amongst ourselves.

Our founders, heroes and heroines of Pan-Africanism, held a vision of a
united, economically and politically emancipated continent at peace with
itself and the world. The challenge we face is to translate this vision into
a reality.

Your Excellencies,

The future of our continent is inextricably linked with that of the rest of
humanity, the world over. Africa must therefore take its rightful place
among nations of the world as an equal reliable partner, and full member of
the international community.

We must create the conditions to, amongst others, contribute towards global
peace and security, sustainable development, and mediate against the effects
of climate change.

In pursuance of this objective, as a Commission, we will continue to build
on the work of those who came before us and we will continue to work with
regional bodies around the world, the UN and all its agencies, including all
our co-operating partners to ensure they can contribute in helping us to
achieve our collectively defined priorities.

Your Excellencies,

The world unanimously agrees that Africa is a continent with immense
possibilities and potential, as evidenced by our natural and human
resources. We must use our vast resources including sunshine, wind and
biodiversity more effectively to benefit our countries and our peoples.

We as member states, working together with the Commission, must drive our
developmental agenda.

We must spare neither strength nor effort to ensure we achieve the vision of
our forebears and ensure that this century is indeed the African one.

Your Excellencies,

Today, we commemorate two milestones in the history of our organisation.

After 49 years, the Southern African region has been afforded an opportunity
to chair the African Union Commission but equally a woman has been afforded
an opportunity for the first time. It is fitting that this happens during
the period declared as the Decade of Women by this very Assembly.

We are grateful as women that our leaders have understood that women have to
participate and take their rightful place in society so they can reach their
full potential because it is only if men and women reach their full
potential, shall we as a continent reach our full potential.

Your Excellencies

Africa has the youngest population in the world, which is continuing to grow
rapidly. We must therefore ensure our young people have access to education,
healthcare, nutrition and skills development to enable them to participate
in the mainstream of our economies and to become skilled.

Your Excellencies,

As we prepare to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the formation of the
OAU, next year, we shall build upon and consolidate the work undertaken by
the Commission under the leadership of many sons who have run this
organisation, but most importantly former President Alpha Konare and the
outgoing Chairperson Dr Jean Ping who have been at the helm of the African
Union itself.

For us to achieve the noble objectives of the African Union and its founding
leaders, we require a strong Commission united by the unshakeable commitment
to serve all our peoples with humility, professionalism, loyalty and
patriotism. I am certain that all the Commissioners and staff of the African
Union are steadfast in their commitment to these values.

May I reiterate our conviction that only by working together, as a single
and indivisible continent of Africa, under the able leadership of the
African Union, can we do more to improve the quality of life of all Africans
while discharging our responsibilities on the African continent and
globally.

I would like to conclude with a quote from one of our most renowned
pan-Africanists, Marcus Garvey, who said, "The history of a movement, the
history of a nation, the history of a race is the guidepost of that
movement's destiny, that nation's destiny, that race's destiny".

As we emerge from this Summit, let our history guide us to ensure that as we
move forward, the Africa we bequeath to our children is better than the one
we inherited. Let us commit to working together towards a glorious destiny
for all our peoples.

I thank you.

http://allafrica.com/download/pic/main/main/csiid/00210303:0bfc5e45efbb7e798
4f7cea45f7e8e18:arc614x376:w360:us1.jpgGCIS <http://www.sanews.gov.za/>

Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma at the African Union headquarters in Addis Ababa,
Ethiopia.

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)