[dehai-news] (Xinhua) AU official says Ethiopian troops may pullout of Somalia next month

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:11:10 -0400

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-07/17/c_123420243.htm

AU official says Ethiopian troops may pullout of Somalia next month

English.news.cn 2012-07-17 05:39:32

ADDIS ABABA, July 16 (Xinhua) -- Ethiopian troops backing the African
Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) could possibly pullout by Aug. 20,
depending on the deployment of Burundian, Ugandan and Djiboutian
peacekeepers in the Somali town of Baidoa, an AU official said Monday.

"Somalia is one of our best achievements in peace and security. It was
a responsible initiative," said Ramtane Lamamra, the AU Commissioner
for Peace and Security, at a news conference here.

The AU official who spoke hours after a bomb blast killed a former
Somali minister and wounded several others in the capital, expressed
optimism that continued progress was being made in Somalia.

"AMISOM and the national security forces are making progress. Security
is improving," he added.

Ethiopia deployed its troops to seal off suspected escape routes for
the Al Shabaab in Somalia following the launch of the Kenyan military
operation following a series of kidnappings and cross-border security
breaches.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi says the Ethiopia forces in
Baidoa, about 230 km outside the capital, Mogadishu, would withdraw as
soon as the situation was stable inside Somalia.

"I believe this is something to end by Aug. 20..I believe this is
something that shows the AU has a significant level of soft power and
can develop military power," Lamamra said.

Djibouti plans to deploy additional troops into Somalia. The
Djiboutian battalion is expected to be on the ground soon to be joined
by the Ugandan and the Burundian troops.

"They (troops) would consolidate what has not yet been achieved. The
Ethiopian participation is particularly satisfactory. We will work
together," Lamamra said.

Troops expected on the ground in Somalia are understood to be carrying
out operations elsewhere.

Somalia, which is under international pressure to complete its
eight-yearlong transition to a stable government by Aug. 20, hopes
that a troop surge in the volatile areas and the deployment of formed
police units in several liberated areas, would help boost policing and
bolster security.

"The Aug. 20 date is a good date for political and military process,"
Lamamra told journalists.