[dehai-news] African Union turned into handmaiden for Pax Americana

From: Sophia Tesfamariam <sophia_tesfamariam_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:27:54 -0400

African Union turned into handmaiden for Pax Americana

Sophia Tesfamariam

Professor Ali A. Mazrui, Director of the Institute of Global Cultural
Studies and Albert Schweitzer Professor in the Humanities State
University of New York, in his 2003 article "Between Pax Americana
and Pax Africana", wrote about the effects of the September 11
attacks on Africa and US policy in Africa . Professor Mazrui, in
concluding his article asked the following:

"...will American resources help to strengthen Pax Africana , or will
American power simply turn it into a handmaiden of Pax Americana ?
How can we avoid the Americanization of Pax Africana ?..."

Hence the title and subject for today's lengthy piece...

But before we get to that, let us take a look at more from Professor
Mazrui's insightful article. He wrote:

"...many Africans were killed at the World Trade Center on September
11, 2001--Senegalese hawkers, Nigerian investors, Ethiopian or
Eritrean drivers, Ghanaian students, Egyptian and South African
tourists, and others... security forces throughout the continent
subsequently opened their doors to the US Federal Bureau of
Investigation and Central Intelligence Agency. At that moment, Pax
Americana entered Africa , forging an alliance with the governments
and people long struggling to establish a Pax Africana..."

After 9-11, the jury is out on whether our world changed or if it's
just that the secrets of our world were exposed...we will wait and
see. One thing is for sure, things were different, uglier. The air
waves were filled with stories of extraordinary renditions and secret
CIA and FBI run prisons in places like Ethiopia . Prisoners nabbed
and transported there were said to be tortured during interrogations.
Hundreds of young men remain missing today, held in these secret
prisons and in US military bases around the world.

The world got to see the horrors perpetrated in places such as the
Bagram Theater Internment Facility, a United States-run prison in
Afghanistan , and the barbaric acts committed by US soldiers against
prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq . Post 9-11 also saw the
erosion of state sovereignty and the US use of unmanned drones in
targeted extrajudicial killings of suspected terrorists. In his 2003
article, Professor Mazrui wrote:

"...The FBI reportedly arrived in Tanzania with the names of 60
Muslims selected for interrogation. The Kenyan authorities, eager to
please the US, were tempted to hand over Kenyan citizens on the
slightest encouragement...The terrorist attacks on New York and
Washington of September, 2001 and their aftermath may exacerbate
tensions not only between pro-Western and anti-Western schools of
thought in Africa, but also between Christians and Muslims..."

It should be recalled that Kenyan officials, eager to please the US ,
also turned over two Eritrean journalists. The Wikileak cables show
that the Ethiopian regime made the request to Johnnie Carson, the US
Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs. The two
journalists were turned over to the Ethiopian regime and their
whereabouts are still unknown. As for exacerbating tensions between
Moslems and Christians, suffice it to mention the ongoing killings
and religious conflicts in Nigeria and Ethiopia .

Post 9-11 Africa saw the demise or erosion of political independence
and sovereignty. Gone also was the once cherished and guarded virtue
of being independent, the freedom from the influence, or control. The
idea that a state could be sovereign was always connected to its
ability to guarantee the best interests of its own citizens. If a
state is unable to act in the best interests of its own citizens, it
cannot be thought of as a "sovereign" state. As the cables have
shown, not only did leaders in the Horn of Africa fail to fend for
their own populations, they instead turned their nations into vassal
states, and become spear carriers for the regime in Ethiopia and its
handlers.

As the African Union begins its Summit in Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian
capital, the lives of millions of Africans will be affected by the
"resolutions" that the African body will undertake. There are many
questions that need to be asked, but the most important question is-
Whose agenda is being advanced at this summit? Can this regional
organization resist external pressures and internal machinations to
truly advance Africa 's interests? It may, but this author is not
holding her breath, as the record is long and ugly and with the
release of the Wikileak documents, the world has a chance to see the
disgraceful manner with which African leaders deal with each other
and how they sell each other out in order to curry favor with the west.

 From setting the agendas, to influencing its outcomes, US officials
have manipulated the African Union to advance US interests on the
continent. From choosing its leadership (a hotly contested issue in
this Summit ) to instructing its leaders on how to steer discussions,
such as the one on the Copenhagen Climate change Summit , the African
Union pretty much serves as an auxiliary of the US foreign policy
establishment, including the US Defense Department. Mercenary regimes
such as the one in Ethiopia advance US interests using the IGAD and
African Union as cover and unashamedly admit to it with their
American interlocutors.

The main topic at this AU Summit is the Chairmanship. To better
understand the process and what it entails, I will refer to a cable
[1] in which the former African Union Chair, Alpha Oumar Konar, who
also served as the President of Mali, in which he explained the AU
election process and more:

"...Konare said that West Africa has had its turn and that the next
AU Assembly Chairman would come from either the Eastern or Central
region. Konare commented that there are "not many choices" in the
Eastern region. Ugandan President Museveni is no longer a possibility
as he has changed the constitution to allow him to remain in office,
Konare stated. Tanzania would be acceptable, but the President is too
new. Konare said that Kenya is not an option because the President is
"ill." Konare concluded that Congo-Brazzaville President Sassou-
Nguesso is the most likely candidate to replace Obasanjo...AU
officials report that the next AU Assembly Chairman will have been
selected behind-the-scenes in advance of the late-January 2006 AU
Summit, but the official announcement will occur in Khartoum ..."

In 2006, the AU decided to create a Committee "to consider the
implementation of a rotation system between the regions" in relation
to the presidency. Controversy arose at the 2006 summit when Sudan
announced its candidacy for the AU's chairmanship, as a
representative of the East African region. Several member states
refused to support Sudan , the issue of Darfur was used as a
pretext. Sudan ultimately withdrew its candidacy and President Denis
Sassou-Nguesso of the Republic of the Congo was elected to a one-
year term.

At the January 2007 summit, Sassou-Nguesso was replaced by President
John Agyekum Kufuor of Ghana , despite another attempt by Sudan to
gain the chair. At that time, the US once again decided to interfere
in the process and the incompetent vindictive Jenadyi E. Frazer, US
Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs decided to approach
her friends in Ethiopia :

"...Outlining U.S. concerns about the possibility of President Bashir
serving as African Union Assembly Chairman, Frazer said the USG
remained strongly opposed to his candidacy, but publicly had stated
that it was up to the AU to decide its leadership. While Congolese
President Sassou-Nguesso had not played a strong role as AU Assembly
Chair, Nigerian President Obasanjo had, (i.e., leadership of the AU
matters). The USG had no confidence in Bashir's leadership, and had
asked former Sudanese Foreign Minister Mustafa Ismail to advise
Bashir not to seek the Chairmanship. The east African bloc needed to
voice its objection and select an alternate (perhaps Tanzanian
President Kikwete), or allow another regional bloc to assume the
Chairmanship (such as Ghanaian President Kufuor for west Africa)..."

In January 2008, President Jakaya Kikwete of Tanzania took over as
chair, representing the East African region and thus apparently
ending Sudan 's attempt to become chairat least till the rotation
returns to East Africa .

The current chair is Benin and today, Sudan is once again at the
centre of the controversy surrounding the African Union. It should be
recalled that the venue for the Summit was moved from Malawi to Addis
Ababa . Malawi had asked the African Union to prevent Sudan 's
President Bashir from taking part in the event, saying his visit
would have "implications" for Malawi 's aid-dependent economy. When
the late Malawi leader refused to arrest Bashir and allowed him to
attend a Comesa Summit in Malawi , the United States and other
western donors cut off Malawi 's development aid package. Today,
succumbing to US pressure, Malawi 's President Joyce Banda explained
her government's decision not to host Bashir. She said:

"... Malawi is already going through unprecedented economic problems
and it would not be prudent enough to take a risk by allowing one
person to come and attend the summit against much resistance from our
cooperating partners and donors..."

Development aid or political independence, self respect and dignity...

Let's continue and read what Konare, the former Chair of the AU had
to say about Sudan and Bashir's chairmanship:

"...Asked for information on the next AU Assembly Chairman, Konare
replied that he is adamant that Sudanese President Bashir not succeed
Obasanjo, and that "many" African leaders agree with him that Sudan's
assuming the Chairmanship would be a disaster for Africa. Konare went
so far as to declare that he will step down as AU Commission
Chairperson if El Bashir were elected. He expressed disbelief that El
Bashir believes he is prepared to assume the Chairmanship..."

And so went the efforts to thwart that Chairmanship.

A cable[2] details a discussion held between Vicki Huddleston, the
US Charge D'Affaires in Ethiopia and Patrick Mazimhaka, the African
Union's Deputy Chairperson on 6 January 2006. According to the
cable, in which the US official asks that Mazimhaka's identity be
protected, he urged "high level calls to key African heads of state
to encourage that they proactively oppose a Bashir chairmanship".
Let us take a look at more from that cable:

"... Despite Konare's best efforts, Mazimhaka noted, Bashir remains
unconvinced and even dispatched an envoy to the AU and several
African countries to advocate a Bashir chairmanship. The Sudanese
Minister of Foreign Affairs assesses that "all of East Africa " is
behind Bashir, Mazimhaka said. Mazimhaka noted that a meeting of
Central African states called by Chad on January 5 failed to issue a
declaration opposing a Bashir chairmanship. Mazimhaka speculated that
Central Africa does not want to rock the boat since Congo-Brazzaville
President Sassou-Nguesso is the only other clear contender for the
Assembly chairmanship..."

But there is more:

"...Mazimhaka concluded that there is a "high risk" that Bashir will
be endorsed at the closed session of heads of state at the Khartoum
AU Summit January 23. Mazimhaka believes that those heads of state
who do not want to explicitly endorse Bashir will not attend the
Summit and instead deploy Foreign Ministers. A Bashir chairmanship
will mean a "dead year" for the AU in terms of ability to promote a
positive agenda for the continent, Mazimhaka lamented..."

It is a sad and disgraceful read. It is made worse when African Union
leaders undermine and insult Africa 's leadership to please their
western handlers. There are enough cables that show the extent of the
emasculation of Africa's leadership, including the leadership at the
African Union, and how they have been manipulated to advance US
interests in the region, even it meant carrying out policies that
were detrimental to the well being of the African people and
compromised the credibility and integrity of the continental and
regional organizations.

As an African and a citizen of the Horn, it is an insult to the
intelligence of the millions there to suggest that the United States
was really concerned about the integrity of the African Union; yet,
the US official had no qualms stating the following:

"...DCM noted that AU Chairmanship is an issue of credibility for the
continent and commented that Bashir does not deserve a position of
authority and prominence at this stage... Charge noted that the USG
shares AU Commission concern that a Bashir presidency would damage AU
credibility. She asked Mazimhaka for ideas on how to ensure Bashir
does not win the Assembly chairmanship..."

External interference in the process and undue pressure and influence
on the African governments is what will ultimately undermine the
credibility and integrity of the African Union and it should be up to
the whims and personal opinions of self serving junior US diplomats
from the incompetent Bureau of African Affairs that should be making
decisions for Africans and their leadership.

It is equally shameful that African officials be used to create a
wedge between the leaders in Africa . The cable captured Mazimhaka's
servitude and shameful attitude towards his fellow African:

"...Mazimhaka (protect) said that only high-level outreach to key
countries such as Nigeria, Ethiopia, South Africa, Botswana, Algeria
and Ghana has a chance of success. Mazimhaka said that international
partners should strongly encourage these leaders to attend the Summit
and to vote against Bashir...Mazimhaka stated that when AU member
states agreed to allow Sudan to host the Summit it was made clear
that Sudan should not expect to chair the Assembly. Crucially, he
said, Bashir lacks the moral authority to lead the AU and promote
resolution of the continent's conflicts..."

Racist US diplomats seem to enjoy pitting Africans against each other
and no one does it better than James Swan, the US Ambassador to
Djibouti . Of course they can't be entirely blamed for the actions of
some African leaders, but they seem to find their weakest points and
use it to emasculate and control them. Allow me to illustrate some
examples of his "diplomatic" manipulation of Djibouti 's leadership
by presenting an 18 April 2009 cable[3] in its entirety:

"...During a meeting with Djiboutian Foreign Minister Mahmoud
Youssouf April 11, Ambassador drew from reftel points to (1) ask
about a "Sudan Tribune" article claiming that Djibouti had invited
Sudanese President Bashir to visit and (2) stress the negative
implications of such a visit. Youssouf assured Ambassador that no
invitation had been extended to Bashir, nor was any planned. As a
member of the African Union and Arab League , Djibouti would support
positions agreed in these institutions. But Djibouti had no interest,
he said, in any "provocative" act, such as hosting Bashir..."

With the veiled threat of stopping US support for these countries,
emasculated African leaders have sold out their people for pittens.

Today, Ethiopia has sent peacekeepers to Susan and pretends to be a
friend to both the North and South. The cables do not reflect that,
they instead expose Ethiopia 's hypocrisy. A 25 January 2007 cable
from Addis Ababa , "DEMARCHE DELIVERED: ETHIOPIAN VIEWS ON AU
CHAIRMANSHIP VOTE", is telling of the minority regime and its cadre's
attitudes towards the Sudanese leadership:

"...Minister Tekeda highlighted that while Ethiopia believed
selecting Sudanese President Bashir as African Union Assembly Chair
was not desirable for the AU, Ethiopia could not openly oppose
Bashir's candidacy for fear of alienating pro-Ethiopian elements
within the GOS, which would thus drive Sudan closer to Eritrea...
Ethiopia recognized that a Bashir chairmanship would leave the AU
"paralyzed for a year"..."Don't take our reticence as evidence of
support" for Bashir, Tekeda said..."

The various comments made by Ethiopian officials about Sudan 's
leadership are reflected in Ethiopia 's Deputy Foreign Minister
Tekeda Alemu's statements found in another cable. The 5 February 2008
cable said:

"...Tekeda stated that the bilateral relationship between Ethiopia
and Sudan was improving, although he characterized the relationship
as more of a "love-hate" affair..."

During his 6-hour long meeting with UN Ambassador Susan E. Rice on 16
May 2009, Meles opined about all the countries in the region and also
on Sudan . Here is what he told his American confidante:

"...Meles has consistently stated that instability in Sudan poses
major threat to Ethiopia 's security. Noting the corruption within
the Bashir regime, Meles said Sudan and Ethiopia have an
understanding that Ethiopia and Sudan will not challenge each other
nor interfere in each other's internal stability. Meles noted,
however, that Sudan could deteriorate into internal conflict... Meles
commented that he did not characterize the situation in Darfur as
genocide, because genocide depends on "intent." While Meles
recognized the massive human rights abuse in Darfur, he concluded
that many of the deaths in Darfur was from starvation..."

Certainly, he cannot possible dare to accuse others of genocide
knowing his massacres in the Gambela, Ogaden and Oromia regions are
far worse than anything in Sudan .

Meles Zenawi is found giving his advice to US officials on options in
the Sudan . According to a 2009 cable[4]:

"...Meles offered that if he were the United States, he would look at
two options. First, which he clearly conveyed as the preferred
choice, would be to "remove the Bashir regime." Acknowledging that
such an option was unlikely, Meles advocated for making a clear
representation to the GoS that the United States is not/not "out to
get them"...Meles concluded the discussion by highlighting that "they
don't trust the Obama Administration," and "they trust the Obama
Administration less than the Bush Administration," and with a clear
reference to U.S. Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice and former Senior
NSC Director for Africa Gayle Smith "...especially some friends of
mine..."

So much for Bashir...but if the South Sudanese think they are immune,
the cables will provide them with a very rude awakening. According to
a 11 November 2009 cable[5], Special Envoy Scott Gration met with the
Ethiopian Prime Minister in Addis Ababa for 90 minutes on the evening